Dent in Oil Pan!

Sat May 25, 2013 9:26 pm

At some point over the years - An implement came under the front corner of the oil pan - effectively turning the outside radius to the inside.

I'm thinking of heating it and using my bigger ball-peen <sp> hammer to do my best at rounding it out.

Is there a better approach or tool for correcting this issue?

Ken

Re: Dent in Oil Pan!

Sat May 25, 2013 10:02 pm

Not knowing how big the dent, oil pans are very cheap. Might be better and easier to just buy an experienced oil pan.

Sun May 26, 2013 7:13 am

I use a block of wood and a hammer or a dead blow hammer to straighten out dents in stuff like oil pans, mower decks and sheet metal. Just a ball peen hammer leaves to many little dents.

Rodney 8)

Sun May 26, 2013 7:24 am

Eugene wrote:Not knowing how big the dent, oil pans are very cheap. Might be better and easier to just buy an experienced oil pan.

:Dito:

Mon May 27, 2013 6:53 am

Experienced Oil Pan...Now that' funny right there! I'll be using that one,LOL.

Mon May 27, 2013 7:46 am

Yep on the replacement... No matter what you do it will 'look' repaired. Some things I just leave alone, depending on how bad it is. I figure every dent has a story..... all I can do is guess what the story is.

Mon May 27, 2013 9:23 am

Yes, that's the P/C term, just like "transfer station" for the dump and "Ethnic Engeering" for well, you know.

Mon May 27, 2013 6:56 pm

ricky racer wrote:
Eugene wrote:Not knowing how big the dent, oil pans are very cheap. Might be better and easier to just buy an experienced oil pan.

:Dito:

A 1" Maple Dowel - seems to fit it pretty well.

IMG_2223 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_2223 (768x1024).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 27, 2013 7:10 pm

Cultivator dent. First time you adjust the depth, you'll probably put it back in.

Mon May 27, 2013 8:48 pm

Probably cause a leak trying to fix that!

Mon May 27, 2013 8:55 pm

I was going to use my brazing tip, a maple dowel, wrapped in glass cloth and a sandbag protected with glass cloth. Do you think it will leak if it's heated and rebent like this?

Tue May 28, 2013 8:06 am

PVF1799 wrote:I was going to use my brazing tip, a maple dowel, wrapped in glass cloth and a sandbag protected with glass cloth. Do you think it will leak if it's heated and rebent like this?

Ken,

It is worth a shot. If it leaks, there are "experienced" pans available.

Bill

Tue May 28, 2013 8:38 am

If it leaks braze it.

Tue May 28, 2013 9:17 am

i had to straighten all 3 of mine, that looks like it will straighten out ok. i would be surprised if you had a problem with it leaking because of the thickness of the metal. not sure but i think its 16 gauge metal.

Tue May 28, 2013 9:44 am

That metal has done a lot of sterching. If I were bent on saving that pan, I'd be more inclined to cut out the damaged area, form a new piece and weld it in. I think you'd spend less time and have more luck doing that.