This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

steering worm installation

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

steering worm installation

Postby gusbratz » Tue May 28, 2013 3:33 pm

The bolts that hold the lower hood extensions to the bolster were twisted off. I pulled the 2 bolts out of the steering shaft bearing and slid it up the shaft so I could get it out of the way in order to drill and tap out the twisted off bolts in the bolster. then I did some other stuff and spaced out and forgot the steering shaft bearing was taped 12" up away from the steering box. of course like and idiot I turned the steering wheel and screwed the worm right out. does any body have the trick to getting it back in? it doesn't seem to want to screw back in the way it came out. :help:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: steering worm installation

Postby tst » Tue May 28, 2013 3:52 pm

Just screw it back in turning it the opposite direction from the way you took it out, make sure that the bronze spacer is stuck on the end of the shaft or it falls in to the steering gear, some have a steel spacer instead of bronze
Tim

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bythepond88 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:44 pm

If you are having trouble, the bushing has probably fallen off the end, as tst suggested. Sometimes you just have to futz with it a time or two to get her to go back in all the way. It's happened to me a couple times.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

robertst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74604

Postby robertst » Tue May 28, 2013 4:54 pm

You might try some thick grease to hold bushing in place and screw it in carefully,just a thought

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Tue May 28, 2013 7:21 pm

I was trying to put the tin back on real quick because we had to go cut firewood. of coarse then I quick job turned into the steering gear being apart, then I was reluctant to reach into the gear lube. got in a big rush and tried to force it. so tonight I drained it and got a bunch of water so I guess that was overdue anyway. there was the bushing broken in to 3 pieces from my stupidity. I machined a new one on the lathe and we are back in business. thanks again.

Return to “Farmall Cub”