Update - Long Shot on This One! Crank Handle?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:53 pm

The part of the crank that your hand holds when starting the Cub - used to spin in the 1970's. Has anyone had any luck getting these to spin again?

So between a trip in the e-tank, heat/cooling with oil and placing it vertical in my vice for 3 days, applying Kroil 8-10 times per day to the end I got a 1/64" movement. That was yesterday. The process continued and today, I now have a freely turning crank handle. :big crazy:

Ken
Last edited by PVF1799 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Long Shot on This One! Crank Handle?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:12 pm

YES! put it in the e-tank for awhile. After removal let it drain, tap with soft mallet & twist.
May require some kroil or a Second trip in the e-tank. Mine now works great. Have done two.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:20 am

Dick, can you define "a while"? I put the crank in on Saturday afternoon. Tested it this morning, nothing yet. Since this is my first trip down E-Tank road, I'm a bit unclear how slow or fast this works.

Thanks for your help, Ken

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:52 pm

When I got my '29 Regular last fall, such as it is I was impressed to find the original hand crank still with it. The spinner however was frozen tight. I let it soak in old engine oil for a couple weeks. One evening I clamped it in the vice and started gently applying heat with a torch and working it with a small pipe wrench. After about 30 minutes or so of heating, pressure, and oil it came loose. It's may very well be only thing on the entire tractor that was salvageable :)

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Ken:

At 2 amps it would take a while. At 10 amps, overnight should be enough.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:58 pm

some heat and a hammer will get the job dont in ten minutes.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Might take a long time in the E-tank - I found that parts were recoverable quickly if they could be exposed, literally by "line of sight" to the electrodes. Parts that were shielded in any way, like the inside of that crank handle, took much longer or needed to be encouraged with PBBlaster.

Re: Update - Long Shot on This One! Crank Handle?

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:13 pm

PVF1799 wrote:The part of the crank that your hand holds when starting the Cub - used to spin in the 1970's. Has anyone had any luck getting these to spin again?

So between a trip in the e-tank, heat/cooling with oil and placing it vertical in my vice for 3 days, applying Kroil 8-10 times per day to the end I got a 1/64" movement. That was yesterday. The process continued and today, I now have a freely turning crank handle. :big crazy:

Ken

Little Update

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Hey allenlook. Long time no see.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Hey Cecil. I couldn't resist commenting on a post about "parts that used to turn in the '70's"... We've all got a few of those! :D

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Glad you got it working It takes a little time & work, but in the end you have accomplished
the task. When I put an item in the E-tank I put a jumper wire between the two parts so
both are connected to the negative side. This allows good contact to both parts.
Dirt and crud do not make a good contact, thus the jumper wire.
You can do more than one item at a time In the E-tank using a jump er between items.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:11 pm

Ken:

Glad you were able to get it free... tough little nut wasn't it :?: :wink: