Re: Gray Coating after Sand Blasting

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:48 pm

The gray is pitted steel. Only sand it, if you need shiny metal. Its a good base, for paint to stick. Ed

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Normal sandblasted color, wash and prime, and done. Etch primer is only needed on smooth metal.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:12 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:The gray is pitted steel. Only sand it, if you need shiny metal. Its a good base, for paint to stick. Ed

Awesome - Thanks so much.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Well, well - I took a dull gray part (headlight) out into the sunshine. You'd be amazed at the sparkle from the 1,000's of little facets created by blasting. I had cleaned them with solvent, let them dry and painted them with Red Oxide Primer. Superb finish with just the primer - as noted by previous posts - it provided a perfect surface for the primer.

OMG - so excited - thanks again for ALL the great comments.

Ken

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Everything I've ever sandblasted has become a dull gray color, and I use silica sand, not aluminium oxide. As stated before, its just how the rough surface reflects light. I always use compressed air to blow sandblasted things clean as wiping just doesn't seem to get all of it nearly as easily. Just make sure your air is dry :oops: !
Sheet metal I often lightly sand down after blasting, but I never worry about castings. You can't get a much better surface to stick paint to than freshly sandblasted.

I really like to sandblast rusty old tools, buff them on my wire wheel, then clear coat them. Makes them look awesome.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:49 am

Yep, gray. But as mentioned, if you want a shiny surface use a wire wheel.

I ALWAYS wipe down with alcohol. And I always prime before my head hits the pillow THAT SAME DAY. Easier said than done.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Yep, typical sandblast finish there, even got that color using pecan shells on the multi-ton steam turbines when we R&R'ed them back in the day and they were high grade stainless. I've got a new bag of Black Diamond if you want it, just sitting in the garage. Probably won't get a chance to use it.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:08 pm

allenlook wrote:Yep, typical sandblast finish there, even got that color using pecan shells on the multi-ton steam turbines when we R&R'ed them back in the day and they were high grade stainless. I've got a new bag of Black Diamond if you want it, just sitting in the garage. Probably won't get a chance to use it.

I'll take it....Let's connect...Good to see you on the forum again.