This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Washing Soda- radiator cleaning

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Washing Soda- radiator cleaning

Postby Eugene » Thu May 26, 2005 12:36 am

This is from the WD Allis Chalmers manual. Cleaning the radiator and block.

"Mix washing soda thoroughly before placing in radiator. Operate engine about 2 hours. Drain and flush thourghly with clean water."

The manual doesn't provide the mixture. My guess is you would mix the washing soda with the water until the water would not disolve any more washing soda.

Eugene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Thu May 26, 2005 6:07 am

That's good to keep in mind. thanks
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 26, 2005 8:13 am

With a thermosyphon (no water pump) system you will need to keep the mixture pretty thin ot prevent overheating.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Thu May 26, 2005 8:30 am

The early Cub manuals I have (5-23-47, and 8-15-50) say to fill the cooling system with a solution of 2 pounds of ordinary washing soda mixed with 9-3/4 U.S. quarts of water ( the cooling system capacity). Leave the radiator cap off and run the engine till the water is hot, then drain and flush with clean water. Later Cub manuals just call for using a commerical, or 'store bought', radiator cleaning product.

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Thu May 26, 2005 4:32 pm

OK OK I am from the North here what the heck is washing soda??????
Been hearing all about but I be da@#$# if I can figure out what you guys are talking about. I have heard of baking soda use it to nutrealize the acid on battery and sorounding area and making cookies I think but we wash with laundry detergent. WHAT GIVES. LOL
JON

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu May 26, 2005 4:34 pm

The common product is Arm and Hammer Washing Soda.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu May 26, 2005 4:36 pm

Mag Man wrote:OK OK I am from the North here what the heck is washing soda??????
Been hearing all about but I be da@#$# if I can figure out what you guys are talking about. I have heard of baking soda use it to nutrealize the acid on battery and sorounding area and making cookies I think but we wash with laundry detergent. WHAT GIVES. LOL
JON

Its for your dirty laundry. Look for Arm & Hammer Washing Soda in your grocery stores laundry section. :lol:
Then came Bronson

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Thu May 26, 2005 5:04 pm

If memory serves me right, washing soda was more commonly used in the days before all the laundry detergents had whiteners and brightener, phosphates, and what ever else is in them, to get your dirty, dirty clothes clean. Seemed my mother would use it by itself or along with powdered detergent. She also used blueing to make clothes whiter - never could figure that one out. Arm and Hammer is the only brand found in my area any more, and it is not very common, so I guess there are still people using it for laundry, or maybe there are enough people de-rusting old tractor parts, to keep it on the market. :lol:

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu May 26, 2005 5:14 pm

Arm and Hammer Washing Soda is what we use in the electrolysis vat. :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Thu May 26, 2005 5:57 pm

If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Thu May 26, 2005 6:12 pm

COOL I see what it is now dont know if they sell it but I know what to look for now.
JON

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Thu May 26, 2005 6:31 pm

If anyone needs this stuff and can't find it. I would be glad to send you some at cost from the store and shipping.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Thu May 26, 2005 9:10 pm

MagMan and anybody else interested-
If you are near any Amish community and the stores that they fequent, you might be able to find washing soda along with several other "old-timey" kinds of things.

They of course still do many things that we consider "the good old days".
Having said that, I saw a fertilizer spreader hooked to a forecart today near Shipshewana IN. Also saw many Amish fields that had been pre-trated with Roundup for weed control. :lol:

They also have figured out how to power pto equipment using horse pulled truck rear ends back geared to run a pto. They do it their way, but not without thought and ingenuity. Impressive! :wink:
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

Return to “Farmall Cub”