1958 transmission / gear issue?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

1958 transmission / gear issue?

Postby Dualing Cubs » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:17 am

I was plowing yesterday for pumpkins and just about finished when the tractor let loose like it popped into neutral . First I hear a slight clicking in the left wheel and then it let loose. It doesn't move in any gear but you can hear the axel free spin. Before I pull it a apart I wanted to hear your ideas which will help me organize my game plan better. I can finish the field with the 59 but I really need both tractors going because someone always breaks on one and I always need the other lol.
Josh
Dualing Cubs
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Zip Code: 23231
Tractors Owned: 1958,59',48' Farmall Cubs
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1958 transmission / gear issue?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:00 am

You may have broken the shaft going form the differential to final drive on one side or the other. hopefully the left one. I did that on one of mine several years ago. I had my Howard Despeeder engaged to slow my speed down while mowing a former calf pasture, and the end of the flail caught a half buried rail road tie I did not know was there. Popped the left shaft without even opening the governor. Remove the transmission oil filler plug and with the tractor running and in gear, look in the hole (need a light) and see if the differential is spinning. If so you have most likely broken the shaft on one side or the other. You will need to jack it up then and see which wheels spins the differential and which one does not. the one that does not is the bad side, and you will have to remove the final on that side. Not to big a job.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby Dualing Cubs » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:43 am

Thanks John! I thought this might be the case . I haven't begun to source the part but where did you source a new one?
Josh
Dualing Cubs
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Zip Code: 23231
Tractors Owned: 1958,59',48' Farmall Cubs
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:43 am

So far as I know, new ones are not available, but good used ones can be had both from the sponsors that show at the bottom of the page and from members that advertize in the for sale section. Make sure what the problem is before you order parts. If it is the top shaft in the final drive you will have to remove the final and then remove the brake drum. Then remove the plate on the outside and the shaft with bearing slides out that way. It is a good time to replace the seal on the differential and the seal on the final drive. I assume you know this, but the shaft on the left and right are different.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Return to Farmall Cub