PTO mystery Solved

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:12 pm

I was having trouble with my PTO--you could pull the shaft out of the bearing. Turns out that one of the previous owners, possibly my dad, had ground off the small snap ring groove. Whoever it was did such a good job that I couldn't see it till I tried to install a new snap ring. Any Idea why? It had an old Woods belly mower hooked to the PTO.

Re: PTO mystery Solved

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Are you sure it wasn't the "staked bearing" version?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:28 pm

I don't know what a staked bearing version is. It may well be. The bearing and seal that were in it are identical to the ones I got in the rebuild kit. Could you elaborate?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Early cubs did not have a groove and snap ring. The bearing was pushed against the shoulder, and on the other side, a punch was placed on the shaft and rapped with a hammer. This caused a "divot" of shaft metal to push up and hold the bearing in place (similar to mushrooming the other side of a rivet). This was done in three or four equally spaced places around the shaft.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Staked version.....Had it happen to me....

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the information. That must be what I have. My Cub is a very early 49, serial number 60855. My Dad wouldn't spend a dime unless it was absolutely necessary, so I always suspect some jury rigging. I guess I'll buy a later model shaft. I just started painting and hope to have it fully restored within 2 months. I'll post pictures when it's done.
Thanks again.
coop

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:00 am

Naw... don't have to bother buying a new PTO shaft. Just re-stake the bearing in place and you will be done. It is really easy to do with a punch and a BFH and should work well for you once you have that done. It is quick and will save you the expense!

Mike