Quick Measurement Needed

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:52 am

Hi - Could someone please measure the distance from the top of the exhaust manifold to the bottom lip of the hood? This is for a 1948 and similar vertical exhaust.

Much appreciated.

Re: Quick Measurement Needed

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:07 pm

If this is the dimension you need, I get approximately 1 1/4"
Hood to Manifold Distance.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:03 pm

That's perfect thanks. I'l use that as my gauge for how high up I restore the exhaust pipe. I'm filling all the pits in the manifold using fireseal 2000, so it looks original (smooth). Did not want to go too far up the pipe - it's pretty labor intensive.

Thanks again.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Ken:

The exhaust pipe is a consumable. To save labour, suggest you get a 18" piece of 1" ID sked 40 pipe and have it threaded. It is an NPT thread. I had a rather aged one on Ellie and I got a piece of 1" ID sked 40 from my local plumbing supply shop and they threaded the one end for me. Paint it black with a High Heat paint .. all done :!: :) Use never seize on the threads when you install it.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:58 pm

PVF1799 wrote:That's perfect thanks. I'l use that as my gauge for how high up I restore the exhaust pipe. I'm filling all the pits in the manifold using fireseal 2000, so it looks original (smooth). Did not want to go too far up the pipe - it's pretty labor intensive.

Thanks again.

Some may be hidden but YOU will know they're there. :wink: