This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Backhoe Cub wouldn't start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh
Circle of Safety: Y

Backhoe Cub wouldn't start

Postby awander » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:29 pm

I have had intermittent problems with my '72 Backhoe Cub, where it was hard to start. Once started, it ran very well.

All starting of this beast is done electrically, as the Wagner loader effective prevents use of a crank(unless it was 4 feet long or so....)

A few years ago, I started to notice that sometimes, as I let off the key from the Start position to the ON position, it would start up.

It turned out that the problem was in the ignition switch-it was cutting power to the coil while in the Start position. The switch the tractor came with when i bought it was not an original IH keyswitch-it had a know to turn it. Anyway, i replaced it with a $25 switch from Tractor Supply, and all was well for about a year. then it started to happen again, so I checked it out, and sure enough, the new switch was doing the same thing.

I replaced the switch again, this time I sprang for TS's $35 switch. Lasted just under a year, and then the tractor became impossible to start once again. I figured, this time, i knew what the problem was, and sure enough, a voltmeter showed that the switch was dropping all power to the coil when in the Start position. i installed a clip lead between battery and coil, and it fired right up, but ran roughly. I checked the timing, and it was off a bit. Adjusting that got me nice smooth-running engine. I shut down and started a bunch more times with the clip lead in place, then parked it with the bucket just inside the garage.

Next day i went to move it so I could close the garage door-and it wouldn't;t start again! With or without the clip lead. Spent an hour with a friend troubleshooting, and narrowed it down to the hi-tension lead from coil to distributor cap. Replaced that and the tractor started and ran beautifully. Couldn't see or measure any problems with the lead we had replaced, so we put it back on-and the tractor still started and ran beautifully!

I'm wondering if it could just have been a dirty connection, that got cleaned up by removing and re-inserting the lead?

What do you guys think?
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Backhoe Cub wouldn't start

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:33 pm

awander wrote:I'm wondering if it could just have been a dirty connection, that got cleaned up by removing and re-inserting the lead?

What do you guys think?

Wouldn't be the first time.

I think there are a lot of cases where an electrical problem is "fixed" by replacing a part. Removing and reinstalling the old part would have done as well.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Some solenoids have 2 connections. One goes from the solenoid to the coil to provide current during cranking. I don't know if yours is wired this way.

When I worked field service, I got a call that one of our rental backhoe wouldn't start.
When I got to the job site, the machine was in a foundation, covered with water, only the ROPS sticking out.
Had to use a crane to get out of the hole, and onto a trailer.
A thunderstorm the night before flooded the foundation.
The construction crew called it in as; won't start, and they were right.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Ditto to what Jim said. I can't count the number of times things went wrong with my MG. I'd take her apart, clean things up, put them back together, and she'd be fine, even though I didn't find anything actually wrong. Personally, I think she just wanted the attention.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Virginia Mike wrote:Some solenoids have 2 connections. One goes from the solenoid to the coil to provide current during cranking. I don't know if yours is wired this way.

When I worked field service, I got a call that one of our rental backhoe wouldn't start.
When I got to the job site, the machine was in a foundation, covered with water, only the ROPS sticking out.

:headbang :big give up:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Virginia Mike wrote:When I got to the job site, the machine was in a foundation, covered with water, only the ROPS sticking out.

RRRRRIINNNGG! RRRRRIINNNGG!
- Hello?
- Hello Bill? I'm having a little problem with the car.
- With the car? Rosanne are you OK?
- Yes, yes, I'm OK.
- So what do you think is wrong with the car?
- I think there is some water in the carburator...
- Water in the carburator?! Rosanne, do you even know what a carburator is?
- Well, no, I'm not sure what a carburator is, but I'm pretty sure there's water in it!
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”