This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What do you think about these Cub prices?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

What do you think about these Cub prices?

Postby pgmrdan » Fri May 27, 2005 8:03 pm

I went to the Waukee, IA swap meet after work this afternoon. I saw several Cubs and Cub Lo Boys.

A guy had 4 complete Cubs and maybe 1/2 of another one.

The one that he drove around had wheel weights, a blade, a gadget on the back I don't know the name of, and a fair paint job. It was a 1969(?) Lo Boy. He was asking $3750.

The other 3 were definitely needing a good deal of work. He said 1 runs, 1 has a stuck engine, and 1 has a loose engine. (Is a loose engine an engine that isn't stuck but it doesn't run either?) He wanted $1500 for each of these 3.

I thought the prices were terribly high but I don't even own one yet so I wanted to ask you folks what you think about the prices.

Then I saw a couple of John Deere's. One was an A and the other was an H. They were beautifully painted with fresh decals and didn't look like they needed any work. I even notice that a zerk fitting had been replaced. They were each $3800.

I'm not putting down the little red tractors but for the prices on the JD's I wouldn't have even considered that Cub Lo Boy for $3750.

A guy at work has a Farmall M that I haven't seen but I know the guy well. He says it's in very good mechanical shape. There's a neighbor of his that's a retired tractor mechanic. He had the guy go over his M looking for any problems and had the guy fix them. The guy at work wants $1800 for the M.

Does it sound like the guy with the Cubs was way over priced?

Thanks,
Dan
Last edited by pgmrdan on Sat May 28, 2005 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri May 27, 2005 8:20 pm

The smaller tractors bring more due to the fact that they are useful mowing grass and plowing gardens; they are in more demand than the bigger tractors that can't do the small jobs. The bigger tractors are not useful at bigger jobs becuase they lack the horsepower of more modern machines. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Fri May 27, 2005 8:25 pm

Yes, I understand that but I'm asking about these specific prices. Besides, one of the JD's was a fairly small tractor too.

Are you saying they sound reasonably priced?

I always thought that a non-running tractor should be priced close to salvage yard prices. At least that's what the books say. I'd be buying a 'mystery'.

And I've seen running Cubs advertised that looked from the pictures like they were in pretty good shape for a lot less.
Last edited by pgmrdan on Fri May 27, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Fri May 27, 2005 8:28 pm

they are too hi for me
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri May 27, 2005 8:32 pm

$1500 for a non-running cub is too much. I see many nice looking, good running cubs sell for less than $1500. $3750 is high for what you describe for the lo-boy too. I would say about half that would be right.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri May 27, 2005 8:33 pm

Those sound like good selling prices. They're a bit high, though, for buying prices. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri May 27, 2005 8:53 pm

I was trying to justify the mindset of the seller charging such high prices. Personally, I wouldn't pay over $500.00 for any of them, running or not. :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Prices

Postby Eugene » Sat May 28, 2005 12:35 am

The sale prices are to high.

1) Suggest you visit several farm auctions in your area.

2) Contact several auctioneers and have your name put on their flyer list. They will send out sale bills for their pending auctions.

3) Visit you local tractor dealers and look over their stock of tractors.

4) Des Moines Sunday Register usually has a nice selection of tractors for sale.

Cub is a good little tractor, but. I don't recall your acerage size. Depending on your needs you might consider a Super C. The $3750 for the Cub LowBoy would purchase a really nice Super C and you would still have around $1000 to $1500 in change to purchase equipment.

I would look around, take a little time and purchase the tractor to suit you needs. Of course two tractors are much better then one.

As I tell my wife. The only made 250,000 of that model and they are getting harder to find. I'm sure she believes me.

Eugene

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat May 28, 2005 9:00 am

Asking prices are not selling prices for houses either..Any body can ask any price. As Barnum the circus guy said "There is a sucker born every minute'

bILL
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sat May 28, 2005 9:33 am

Just remembering my first car. I bought it in 1950. Guy had it in Fri. paper for $150. My father said call him and say you can't be there till tues to look, seller responded I may sell it in the mean time. So i said I'll call on tues then, if you still have it I will be by to look. Dad said put $70 in your pocket. If it hasn't sold by tues he will probably bite with cash put in front of his face. If not ask me to borrow $5 and up the offer to $75. It worked I got the car. A willing buyer and a willing buyer will come to terms. A desperate buyer or desperate seller can be his own worst enemy. Patience and the ability of green to talk can help a buyer. Some times a seller will have such an inflated sense of worth that nothing will bring him to earth for months or years. This is the point in an auction that the seller and auctioneer look for too. I let things go for a while, determine what my max price is. If people are bidding crazy let it go. While it is true they are not making any more cubs, there are still plenty still around.
When I bought my first computer it was at an auction. I forget the name of the out fit but it was a bankruptsy sale. There were many computers. I would bid and when it got higher that I was willing to pay I would drop out. Some of the dealers thought that I was a shill for the Auctioneer. One of them approached my and asked what I was doing. I said trying to get a computer for my self but the prices were going crazy so I had to drop out. He asked which one I liked the looks of best. I said that one looked good to me because I did not want to spend the money for a color monitor. He thaen said you will need a printer too won't you. I replied that Epson looks good to me. I bid on those 2 things, got them for my price, went and paid for them and that was that.
I have used things go on epay for more than new. Sometimes it will be an old model and sell for more than the current model. You have to watch and get a feel for things. Of course if it is a one of a kind like the Wright Brothers airplane, you better make sure it is the real thing and them be prepared to go for your lungs.

Bill

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

sirlan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sirlan » Sat May 28, 2005 10:15 am

I certainly wouldn't pay that much but there's probably someone somewhere who would. I just bought a running cub in good condition (minor cosmetic and mechanical problems) for $850 including a disc harrow. Good deals are out there. You just have to keep looking.
Greg
'49 Cub #87902
'51 Super A #323456

Tractor pics - http://homepage.mac.com/sirlan

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sat May 28, 2005 11:28 am

Eugene said, "Cub is a good little tractor, but. I don't recall your acerage size. Depending on your needs you might consider a Super C. The $3750 for the Cub LowBoy would purchase a really nice Super C and you would still have around $1000 to $1500 in change to purchase equipment."

We bought 20 acres.

Very funny you mentioned a Super C. My wife and I went out to the swap meet this morning. She got her bag of kettle corn so she's happy. :D She likes looking at tractors and farm types of things too.

Anyway, we looked at 4 other Cubs and a Cub Lo Boy. And there was a Super C among them. Our plans have changed a little as to what we're going to do with our land so I may end up needing a little bit more than a Cub. That Super C looked pretty darn good.

Our plans for the 20 acres have changed in that we might graze a few head of cattle. Not definite yet but it's sounding pretty good.

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Beacon , it goes like this ----

Postby countershaft » Sat May 28, 2005 11:45 am

Barnum Bailey , quote ----" Theres a sucker born every minute and 3 to take him "!
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat May 28, 2005 12:11 pm

beaconlight wrote:Just remembering my first car. I bought it in 1950. Guy had it in Fri. paper for $150. l

I was robbed! I also bought my first car in 1950... from my Dad's uncle. He sold it to me for what they were going to allow him for trade in. $153. I loved that car. Unfortunately, it was totaled by my home room teacher hitting me on the night of my graduation. I've forgiven her for being a lesbo but I'll never forgive her for destroying my best ever car... a 1937 Chevy. :cry:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sat May 28, 2005 2:00 pm

George did it have the kne action front end??

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”