Holes in Hood Revelation

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:00 pm

While browsing TM Tractor last night, preparing the order of the century for my '48, when I noticed this part. http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/827fp.htm. The placement of these brackets happens to perfectly coincide with two holes that have been in the hood for a long, long time. Never had a clue something was supposed to be there.

Ah, the things you learn restoring a CUB.

Ken

Re: Holes in Hood Revelation

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:24 pm

Those should be replaced before painting the hood. The weld area may require some work to make it smooth.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:31 pm

On furhter inspection and because I can't recall these ever being there, I have no clue what they attach to on reassembly. :help: please.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:34 pm

PVF1799 wrote:On furhter inspection and because I can't recall these ever being there, I have no clue what they attach to on reassembly. :help: please.

To the top of the radiator support brackets.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:35 pm

Ken they attach to the radiator supports. The best way to locate them is to attach them to the support, position the hood in the right place, tack the brackets, remove the hood and finish welding. If needed bring the hood here and I'll give you a hand.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Cecil wrote:Ken they attach to the radiator supports. The best way to locate them is to attach them to the support, position the hood in the right place, tack the brackets, remove the hood and finish welding. If needed bring the hood here and I'll give you a hand.

Cecil, thanks so much - I'll take you up on that offer. BTW - the Cub won't be ready for August as you knew in April. Now it's weddings, graduation parties, trying to put hay in, etc, etc. Be damn lucky if it's October at the current rate....

Ken

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:56 pm

those brackets act as "stand-off's". the keep the hood up and off the radiator preventing the hood from resting on the radiator and damaging the radiator. they are kind of important unless you want to replace the radiator.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:39 pm

ad356 wrote:those brackets act as "stand-off's". the keep the hood up and off the radiator preventing the hood from resting on the radiator and damaging the radiator. they are kind of important unless you want to replace the radiator.

Thanks for that input and sometime after I got married in 1977, these brackets must have rusted off. Dad - would never have known they were there - so he placed a heavy piece of canvas on the radiator, which stayed there till I started this restoration in March.

They will be replaced and the canvas stored for historical memories. :D

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:51 pm

The radiator brackets will go on backwards too !

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Boss Hog wrote:The radiator brackets will go on backwards too !

OK Boss - you got me - So now I need to ask - how does one distinguish 351 477 R91 LH from 351 478 R91 RH? Does the threaded nut on the top of the bracket go towards the front or the rear?

:D

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:06 pm

Ken, it goes in front.