Re: aftermarket throw out bearing

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:26 pm

A slight bevel on the inside and outside, not having luck with the pics,,,

Re: aftermarket throw out bearing

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:25 am

Here it is , hard to see but there is a small finger nail bevel on the clutch side.


Image

Image

Image

Re: aftermarket throw out bearing

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:52 pm

any thoughts on this tob :?:

Came from Columbia tractor in Claverack NY , seems like a good source for parts they did not shrug me off when I said vintage Cub also they ship parts :big afro:


http://www.columbiatractor.com/

Re: aftermarket throw out bearing

Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Jackman wrote:any thoughts on this tob :?:

Came from Columbia tractor in Claverack NY , seems like a good source for parts they did not shrug me off when I said vintage Cub also they ship parts :big afro:


http://www.columbiatractor.com/

I wonder if $50 more buys you 1-2 or 10 years more service life. My thinking is - if the part is easy to get at and fast to change I would consider saving the $50. For a part like the TOB - perhaps $50 is money well spent. The resident experts who've used ones like you purchased will weigh in. So far - some like them and some have had bad luck.

I received some very sound advice from this forum early in my restoration process - buy original equipment when available.

Ken

Re: aftermarket throw out bearing

Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:22 pm

PVF1799 wrote:
Jackman wrote:any thoughts on this tob :?:

Came from Columbia tractor in Claverack NY , seems like a good source for parts they did not shrug me off when I said vintage Cub also they ship parts :big afro:


http://www.columbiatractor.com/

I wonder if $50 more buys you 1-2 or 10 years more service life. My thinking is - if the part is easy to get at and fast to change I would consider saving the $50. For a part like the TOB - perhaps $50 is money well spent. The resident experts who've used ones like you purchased will weigh in. So far - some like them and some have had bad luck.

I received some very sound advice from this forum early in my restoration process - buy original equipment when available.

Ken


I hear ya, but I gotta do what I gotta do , I did not save fifty dollars I have two kids in college and I am temporarily poor I would not have spent the 85 dollars on the OEM at this time, glad there is an alternative just hope it works.

Re: aftermarket throw out bearing

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Here's a photo of a TOB "we" cut apart at CubFest Northeast 2011.
Image

Image

What little grease had been put in at time of install had no chance to work into the graphite. We were really puzzled by the paper.

I don't know if this was an aftermarket or Case/IH TOB.

Peter

Re: aftermarket throw out bearing

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Jackman wrote:
PVF1799 wrote:
Jackman wrote:any thoughts on this tob :?:

Came from Columbia tractor in Claverack NY , seems like a good source for parts they did not shrug me off when I said vintage Cub also they ship parts :big afro:


http://www.columbiatractor.com/

I wonder if $50 more buys you 1-2 or 10 years more service life. My thinking is - if the part is easy to get at and fast to change I would consider saving the $50. For a part like the TOB - perhaps $50 is money well spent. The resident experts who've used ones like you purchased will weigh in. So far - some like them and some have had bad luck.

I received some very sound advice from this forum early in my restoration process - buy original equipment when available.

Ken


Important thing is you'll have a running working Cub again. Wish your kids the best in school.

I hear ya, but I gotta do what I gotta do , I did not save fifty dollars I have two kids in college and I am temporarily poor I would not have spent the 85 dollars on the OEM at this time, glad there is an alternative just hope it works.

Re: aftermarket throw out bearing

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:11 pm

If you got it from Columbia Tractor in NY then it should be a-ok. Columbia supplies a lot of us with parts. What I can't get through TM Tractor comes out of Columbia. So I would have no problems buying one of their TOB's. Plus there rep is pretty good. So far I have been pleased with them over the past 4 or 5 years.

Re: aftermarket throw out bearing

Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:41 am

Peter Person thanks for posting the pics :big afro: , I did not know the wax paper was inside the tob, thought Boss meant shipping wrap :oops: ,,,,,,,,, no sign of paper in mine , I bet that paper was assembly line error, any way I broke open my original IH tob and there was no paper however there was a blockage off old dried up grease and dirt in there.

fingers crossed on this tob .

Thanks for the replies :big afro: