Generator Brush Squeak

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:20 pm

This generator has for years had squeaky brushes. It's really, really annoying. Darn thing even does it on the bench turning it by hand.

What's the cause and cure?

Thanks, Ken

Re: Generator Brush Squeak

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:56 pm

PVF1799 wrote:What's the cause and cure?

The cause is the brushes contacting the commutator. The cure is ear plugs. :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. :big smile:

Re: Generator Brush Squeak

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:13 pm

ricky racer wrote:
PVF1799 wrote:What's the cause and cure?

The cause is the brushes contacting the commutator. The cure is ear plugs. :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. :big smile:

Oh c'mon Rick, you know that won't help much! When I worked for Chrysler years ago we just told customers to turn the radio up. Ken in your case you need to wear headphones with your iPod while mowing.

Re: Generator Brush Squeak

Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Barnyard wrote:
ricky racer wrote:
PVF1799 wrote:What's the cause and cure?

The cause is the brushes contacting the commutator. The cure is ear plugs. :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. :big smile:

Oh c'mon Rick, you know that won't help much! When I worked for Chrysler years ago we just told customers to turn the radio up. Ken in your case you need to wear headphones with your iPod while mowing.


Oh you guys are both Masters of the Obvious and Regular Riots tonight. Ok, so the squeak stays.

:D :D
Ken

Re: Generator Brush Squeak

Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Tear down time. Check bearing, bushing, clean up commutator, install new brushes.

Re: Generator Brush Squeak

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Or as I did, take it to a good AC Delco repair shop and have them go through the Generator. Rather inexpensive and a definite plus as far as I am concerned.

Re: Generator Brush Squeak

Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:08 am

Rudi wrote:Or as I did, take it to a good AC Delco repair shop and have them go through the Generator. Rather inexpensive and a definite plus as far as I am concerned.


Rudi, was yours squeaking before you took it? If Yes, did that stop the squeak?

Ken

Re: Generator Brush Squeak

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi Ken,
When it stops squeaking then I would start to worry :{_}:
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Re: Generator Brush Squeak

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Ken:

I can't remember exactly was wrong, all I know is that all three generators are now spinning freely with no noise at all. I hope that helps.

Eugene has the right solution, I would just take it to a good AC Delco shop if you have one available. Then you will know it is done right.

Re: Generator Brush Squeak

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:26 am

On the advice received herein - I took the squeaky generator to the local generator/starter shop. The counter mans first reaction - "oh we just gotta seat in the brushes". So they set about working on it as they do. Went back to drop off the starter and pick-up the generator. The counter man says "Well we cleaned everything and ran it on the stand for hours and it still squeaks" So it goes back on squeaking. They did not charge me anything for the service.

As Bernard advises below - this is now the approach I will be taking. :D

Donegal Cub wrote:Hi Ken,
When it stops squeaking then I would start to worry :{_}:
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Re: Generator Brush Squeak

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:50 am

Or you could paint it with Majic IH Red....LOL

Re: Generator Brush Squeak

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:52 am

Did the shop check the bearing and bushing?

Re: Generator Brush Squeak

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 am

Ken:

The squeaking has to be either the bearing or the bushings ..

Image

Page 43
Page 44
TC-37C Parts Catalog (08-29-52) - Electrical