This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hesitating Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Hesitating Cub

Postby Joey » Sat May 28, 2005 1:57 pm

Two weeks ago, I was cutting grass with my Cub and half way thru the 3 acres, it started sputtering and hesitating and finally killed. It would start right back up, go a few feet then go thru the same process again. Being that it was starting to downpour, I put it up to check out later. This morning, I cranked the tractor up, ran it for twenty minutes in neutral and it did fine. Went to start cutting and it started the sputtering again after 5 minutes. I drained the carb, checked the gas cap vents, but it didn't help. Any ideas? Fuel bowl? electrical? :(

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat May 28, 2005 2:05 pm

You don't list cleaning the jet, the screen at the inlet to the carb or in the bowl of the carb. You should check the glass sediment bowl too.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 28, 2005 2:31 pm

Since it seems to run fine with no load it is probably a fuel supply issue. Do as Bill said and clean the main jet, inlet screen and sediment bowl. Also take a good look inside the tank to see if there is dirt visible. You may need to flush out the tank.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joey » Sat May 28, 2005 3:56 pm

I did check the fuel sediment bowl and noticed a little trash at the bottom. When talking about the main jet, do you mean removing the bolt on the side of the carb and letting the fuel drain out (with the trash, hopefully)? I did that, but it didn't help - still sputtered and stalled. I had changed tanks previously and thought I had it pretty clean - guess not. Guess I'll take apart the fuel system and clean it out. Thanks for the help.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 28, 2005 4:16 pm

You need to clean out the opening in the jet. Sometimes they plug with dirt or varnish flakes. Just flushing is not enough.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sat May 28, 2005 4:17 pm

That brass bolt you mention is the jet. Blow it out with compressed air, poke it out with a piece of telephone inside wire or something equally as thin and blow it out again. Once you have gotten this far and no luck I would let a lot of fuel run out the hole the jet goes into. run it into w white bucket. If not completely clean run it through a coffee filter till it is. Drain the whole tank like this. Put a gallon through again and again till all is clean. There is one other possibility that the needle valve that regulates the fuel flow in to the carb sticks. You may have to take the carb apart for this to be checked. If you do it will allow you to remove accumulater sludge from the carb bowl. If you don't want to take it apart try turning the shut off at the sed bowl off and on and see hw quickly fuel flow starts each time it is turned on. If you do take the carb apart don't overtighten the screws because you may warp the top piece.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joey » Sat May 28, 2005 5:01 pm

May as well go thru the trouble of cleaning out the gas tank while I'm at it. What's the recommended procedure - any tips? Or would letting the gas run out into a bucket get rid of most of the trash?

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat May 28, 2005 5:12 pm

Joey wrote:May as well go thru the trouble of cleaning out the gas tank while I'm at it. What's the recommended procedure - any tips? Or would letting the gas run out into a bucket get rid of most of the trash?

What I did was drained the gas into a container and then filtered that gas through a clean white rag and just kept recycling the gas through the tank until it was clean. Dont use that same gas for running, Use fresh new gas. Also Bill mentioned using phone wire for cleaning out the main jet orifice. If you have no small wire handy use a stripped tie-wire like the ones on a lot of bread sacks and other items.
Then came Bronson

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joey » Sat May 28, 2005 5:26 pm

Thanks, guys. I want to do this one time only, so the tips and advice will help. :)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sat May 28, 2005 5:34 pm

If you have rust in the tank you will get more from time to time.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat May 28, 2005 5:40 pm

If you want to rid the gas tank of rust once and for all, then I would suggest putting a liner in it. There are 2 products that will do the trick.
These products are a lot like the tool handle plastic dip you see.

Kreem is a kit that can be purchased at motorcycle shops. It's a 3 step process. I've used it several times with great results.

The other product is POR15. This I have not used so info will have to come from someone else.
8)

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joey » Sat May 28, 2005 5:52 pm

Kreem is fairly easy to use? How long of a process for a beginner? Can it be bought locally? Sorry for the questions but you've got me curious, now :roll:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat May 28, 2005 6:07 pm

Yes it's easy to do :!: Takes about 2 hours plus drying time. You should be able to find it at your local bike shop.

In the cleaning process I put in 25 or 30 3/8 nuts to aid in freeing up the rust. Other than that, "piece of cake."
8)

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joey » Sat May 28, 2005 6:20 pm

Thanks, Donny, I may just give it a try. I'll post how it came out. :)

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Sat May 28, 2005 6:33 pm

Joey: I sealed a tank with POR-15 about five years ago and have had no trouble with rust since that time. Using this also involves a three step process and you need to use gravel, nuts, washers etc. to break up the rust to get a nice clean tank. The process is similar to that which Donny provided. Perhaps the most critical part of the process is to give plenty of drying time between the steps. The inside of the tank must be totally dry before proceeding to the next step to insure proper bonding to the metal surface. I used a hair dryer and also let the tank sit in hot sunlight for several hours. Dan

Return to “Farmall Cub”