Cub-22 sickle bars

Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:38 pm

The parts manual lists three different kinds of cutter bars: level cut bar, weed bar, and cardo bar. The weed bar is self-explanatory, but what are the other two intended to be used for?
Same question on the guards. Five different types are shown, and each one has several variations listed, some with chrome plating. I'm guessing they were for differing cutting conditions, but does anyone know the details?

Re: Cub-22 sickle bars

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:20 am

Which parts manual are you looking at?

Bob

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:06 am

Check this page at the Wiscinsin Historical Society.
http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/ihc/id/27305/show/27088/rec/19

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:54 am

This is the manual I was looking at.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Parts%20Manuals/MR-5%20-%20Mowers/Cub-22%20Mower/Page%2003.jpg

Jim, that link provided some interesting information. I'll have to explore that site further. Guessing that the chrome plating on the tooth sections and guards was for corrosion resistance, is that correct?

I'm in the process of tearing apart and rebuilding a 22 mower I got recently. What section knives should I get for cutting grass/weeds, and where is the best place to get them? CaseIH seems to be pricey.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:08 am

Herschel is a fairly common brand that should be available at most farm supply stores. B- (B minus) is the underserrated section that is correct for the Cub. The last time I bought any, they came in a pack of 10 and were about $1.00 each. Take an old one with you in case they carry something else. If you can find someone close to you with a Johnson sickle servicer, it will cut the removal and replacement time required considerably.

Bob

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:19 am

Bob McCarty wrote:If you can find someone close to you with a Johnson sickle servicer, it will cut the removal and replacement time required considerably.

I will have mine at the Tug.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:34 am

Most Tractor Supply stores that I've been to stock the Herschel B- knife sections.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:32 am

Don, I think TSC has switched brands. Our local store and one I stopped in on the way to Florida had another brand.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:37 am

We also changed from rivets to the bolts they now sell for knife replacement. We use them on our International 990 haybine and our 7' IH Cycle bar for the H. Sure is easy to change blades. Not original for a restoration like your doing but work really well for a working machine.

Ken

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Barnyard wrote:Don, I think TSC has switched brands. Our local store and one I stopped in on the way to Florida had another brand.

If you're talking about the "County Line" (or something like that) brand, I think it's the same sections. Just a different label. I'll check next time I'm in there.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:00 pm

I have found that the tractor supply blades are cheazy and break easily, I buy from webs sickle service, www.sickleservice.com, I run them on the haybines and sicklebars, better quality and price,good service
Tim

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Another question- what is the reason for the triplet end section? Are they still available?
The ones on my bar are all the same.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Redclip wrote:Another question- what is the reason for the triplet end section? Are they still available?
The ones on my bar are all the same.

The triple blade at the end was designed to minimize the clogging at the head. They do work well. We use them on the haybine and IH 7' Sickle Bar.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:17 pm

webbs has them also

Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:00 am

PVF1799 wrote:We also changed from rivets to the bolts they now sell for knife replacement. We use them on our International 990 haybine and our 7' IH Cycle bar for the H. Sure is easy to change blades. Not original for a restoration like your doing but work really well for a working machine.

Ken

Where do you get them? I would gladly convert my mower, "orginal" or not.

Al