Won't idle down

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Posting this for my Dad. His 47 F Cub had always idled fast. Haven't looked at it personally but he says he just unhooked all linkages including governor, throttle and all and using his hand on linkage to close butterfly it still idles too fast. Has no manual, thus my question. Tractor runs perfect otherwise, says it starts easy, governor works as it should under load, just won't idle down. I asked him how worn the throttle shaft seemed, he says little play, not bad but what is good? Thanks

Re: Won't idle down

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:58 pm

G'day to you. Well I can solve the manual problems :

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the PDF Manuals -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.

I would check the idle screw for one and the throttle linkage. It may be stuck a bit too far open. Just an idea..

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:37 pm

As Rudi said, there is an idle speed screw on the throttle lever on the back of the barb. I recently came a cross a carb that the throttle plate would not allow the throttle to close all the way.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:48 am

Thank you guys. I was checking out the online manual.also. Pretty neat stuff! Thanks for the help. I will let you know how he makes out.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:26 pm

It's the idle speed adjustment screw on the carb. If not maybe an air leak caused by a bad carb or intake gasket. I hope it's the screw. We check for air leaks using ether very carefully.