homemade grill

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:14 pm

ok first off i have been looking for a grill for my '66 but all i have found is really high priced ones (well at least i think they are high) so i decided to make my own for now mainly to protect radiator.. i had to make the side panels, front surround piece that the grill mesh is bolted to, and the mesh. sure it's not professionaly done but it will work till i find an original thats in my price range.... let me know what ya think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: homemade grill

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Looks like it will get the job done! The mesh might be a "little" large to keep grass and chaff from getting in the radiator, but it will keep the long stuff out!

Necessity is a MOTHER, they always say!

Mike

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:11 pm

If you are working around brush, do yourself a favor,and put a finer mesh, behind the one you have. (No, don't ask, how I know!) Ed

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:29 pm

I agree with all previous posts. Finer mesh, unless you're just going to be mowing lawn. Any fall, mowing the golden rod and bachelor button seeds will get right past that. And, I know why Ed advises finer (and I'm not gonna tell you how I learned that) :D.

Ken

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:14 pm

you guys mean like window screen stuff? what i got on there was mainly for twigs and things that would poke holes in radiator, but didn't think of weeds and grass..

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Use 1/4 inch "rat wire" mesh.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:37 pm

I like the sturdy, beefy look.

Is the hand crank hole covered or is it just the angle of the picture?

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:24 pm

The "correct" expanded metal grill isn't much finer than that.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Anything that don't kill you, you learn from.....Looks good to me....If it needs amending you've got the hard part done....Dave :mrgreen:

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Whatever it takes to protect the radiator works for me. Although I tend to lean toward the refrigerator shelf style myself.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:18 pm

We used tie window screen to the front of the Cub and the Ford when we were cutting chest deep hay...Poppy wouldn't let you out in the field without it, no matter how bad it looked :)

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Use 1/4 inch "rat wire" mesh.

Go with 1/8 " "hardware cloth" - galvanized - used to line the original bar grills I believe! Available at better hardware stores everywhere! (Ace?). Dusty B

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:20 am

Necessity is the mother of invention, someone said... Looks good and once you get the finer mesh done you will be set.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:36 am

I have the mesh grill on my '53 and got really tired of hosing out the grass seeds from the radiator! We attached a section of screen across the grill and a quick rinse gets it all!!! At least your grill offers some protection from branches, etc, which the plain mesh grills don't.