This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Using a Tach/Dwell Meter on a Magneto?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Virginia Joe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23005

Using a Tach/Dwell Meter on a Magneto?

Postby Virginia Joe » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Hello,
I recently acquired an old Stewart-Warner Tach/Dwell/Points meter to hopefully determine the RPM's of my running cub. I not sure however, how to hook it up to a tractor equipped with a Magneto. Where would I hook up the red terminal and I assume the black one would go to ground? Can it be used at all with a Magneto? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

PS I do have a Stewart-Warner portable hand tachometer model 757-w but wanted to try the Tach/Dwell for grins.

Thanks for any and all advice.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Using a Tach/Dwell Meter on a Magneto?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm

I have never gotten one to work on a magneto. It depends on interrupted voltage on the point lead, and a magneto does not have external voltage unless it has an external coil.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Using a Tach/Dwell Meter on a Magneto?

Postby BigBill » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:39 am

The wire feed for the tach/dwell comes off the grounded side of a distributor, the points are a ground at this time the condenser, condenses the spark so it doesn't jump across the point air gap. This ground wire on the external coil sends the signal to the tach on how many times the points open and close per 4, 6, 8, cylinders. To simulate that a wire needs to go to the points were the ground is. I personally wouldn't mess with a mag too much.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”