Test it out before you paint

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:49 am

I see all to often where people have went to work painting in great detail before they know anything about the cub. Please see what you have before you start to paint it. Remember reliably is the key not a coat of paint
Boss

Re: Test it out before you paint

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:49 pm

I agree Boss. Furthermore, when I'm looking to buy one, running condition is far more important than the paint job. Don't be fooled by a coat of paint!

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Yup, the best looking tractor I ever bought needed the most work. it had been painted to look nice, but the engine, generator, starter, clutch, brakes, all needed work.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Boss Hog,
Ya mean we shouldn't put lipstick on a pig? :lol:

Peter

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Peter Person wrote:Boss Hog,
Ya mean we shouldn't put lipstick on a pig? :lol:

Peter

Only if you are going to sell it :D :lol: :lol:
I guess that's why I dont paint em up much :wink:

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:23 pm

I've seen it more than once Boss. Get to know yer new tractor, get familiar with it and get the bugs out of it...then paint it if you must

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:54 pm

thats what i'm doing with my '66... getting it back into shape little by little, then this winter i'll paint...

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I've heard that referred to as a "Sherwin Williams overhaul", when a tractor with problems is painted up to be sold.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:01 pm

The only time I paint is when I am seeing rust, then Ill primer it and paint it just to save the metal. Must be why my cub looks like a red and black dalmation.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:20 am

And the other side of the coin. Ol' Ugly is probably the worst looking Cub you will ever see. Nothing straight, welding on finals and bolster, no grill, seat pan rusted thru, much more you get the idea. But she starts right up and purrs like a Singer. She does every thing I ask her to do. A diamond in the ruff.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:38 am

if they run good i'll paint them, i hate the looks of rust and dents.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:35 am

Awesome advise! I decided to repack the front wheel bearings on my first Cub, Rufus, and it hurt to scar up the new paint to replace the whole rusty mess that I found inside.

I am much less inclined to paint these days.... there is a dang Cub and Wheel Horse (anybody need a nice one??) that take up the 'paint booth' lately.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:56 am

It never fails! As soon as you "think" you are done with the tractor, and then you paint it, you FIND SOMETHING ELSE... Always happens!

Bigdog used to always say "Paint don't pull"... SO true.

Great advice, Boss...

Mike

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:14 pm

When I first got my cub I had an idea to get it running well, then strip it down and and paint it up all pretty. The longer I have owned it and the more I am around cub and other old equipment the more I appreciate the working tractor and the original condition.