This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dip Stick Feature?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Dip Stick Feature?

Postby Tezell » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 am

Drain the oil, measure it and make sure only 3 quarts are put back in if you are not sure.
"I ain't believing this!"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Assuming he has the correct amount of oil in the crankcase, and the dipstick tube is in the correct position...

What else would cause oil to blow out the dipstick tube?

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Assuming he has the correct amount of oil in the crankcase, and the dipstick tube is in the correct position...

What else would cause oil to blow out the dipstick tube?

Crankcase pressure caused by a worn out rings and cylinders.

mdtieszen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55082

Postby mdtieszen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:01 am

Update on the dipstick disc feature:

I purchased a dipstick with the disc and the oil leaking from the dipstick vent stopped completely.

The original dipstick vent (without disc) dripped oil. I pulled the dipstick when the cub was running and there was a "mist" of oil coming out of the filler tube. The oil didn't appear to be coming out with air, but rather splashing out. Oil level measured in the correct range. The new dipstick completely stopped the oil dripping from the filler vent. Clearly, the disc doesn't create a seal in the tube but it must block those little droplets of oil that are splashed up the tube. The cub has the short filler tube.

I can't say it makes sense but it is just one guy's experience and worth trying if anyone has oil dripping from the filler tube and no disc on the stick.\

Thanks to all for the advice and help.

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:19 am

On my 48 cub I always rotate the dip stick 360 degrees before taking it out for a reading; am I the only one that does that with the old dip stick?
Dave
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

hurleyjd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75497

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:33 am

mdtieszen wrote:jr'64- Thank you for clearing this up. My cub SN is #733 and the top of the stick is not marked or scratched at all.....no evidence of anything ever being attached. So, safe to assume that this cub's dip stick never had the disc.

Arthur- I'll check wth JP Tractor Salvage for thiers. If that doesn't work, I'll have to get on fleabay.

Harold R- The fact that you have a short tube, no disc and no oil leaking may be a bad sign for me. I'm really hoping it isn't blowby since I just put the cub back together. The cylinders were within spec for .040 over. I replaced the rings. It used to smoke quite nicely, haha, out the stack but since back together, it stopped smoking. My oil is right at the FULL line. I think if the tube were pushed in too far, it would be underfilled with oil at the FULL mark. Could it be that the tube wasn't pushed all of the way in? I didn't have the oil filler tube out so don't have any idea how far it is supposed to be pressed.

Here is how I'll proceed: Go ahead and get a proper dip stick with the disc. In the meantime, I'm goign to run the cub without the dip stick and see if oil is being thrown out and also maybe get some read on blowby. If getting thrown out, I'll try draining some of the oil. If that doens't do it, I'll have to live with oil running all over the blade and dripping in the garage after working it. Maybe a big cork to replace the dip stick? The tube from the crankcase to the air cleaner should handle a reasonable amount of blowby, right?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Rings may not be seated to cylinder, I would think you need to really work it hard for a few hours. Most overhauls on larger farm tractors are broke in by running them on a dynometer where you can load them very heavy.

Return to “Farmall Cub”