This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Smoking electrical system

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Smoking electrical system

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:15 am

Posco wrote:Can anyone explain to to me what these electrical wire are coming off the tee on my oil pressure gauge? It has two wires, one leading to a terminal on the alternator and the other leading to the starter switch (cranking motor).
The oil pressure switch is used to excite the alternator.

Oil pressure comes up, closes switch, voltage applied to alternator terminal #1 in the earlier posted diagram. Voltage excites the alternator, starts the alternator charging.

Shut off engine, oil pressure drops, switch opens, disconnects from alternator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:55 am

Yep, forget what I said earlier. Pretty clever way to turn the alternator on and off. I'm not sure I ever would have though of that.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 am

You guys are incredibly helpful and i want to thank you. Here is a pick of the Hatachi alternator. There is a wire leading from one side of the pressure switch directly to the starter. Coming off the other side of the pressure switch is a wire that hooked to the alternator. It was spliced at the alternator with two leads attached to the vertical and horizontal spade terminals. The splice was soldered and one of the spade adapters is missing but it plugged to the spade directly above the one pictured. What becomes of the post marked "Batt" on the alternator? I don't have notes that anything was run to/from it.

I have run a wire from the distributor to the ignition switch.

Is there any simple way...for my benefit...to recap what we've been over?
Attachments
Cub electrical 016.jpg
Cub electrical 016.jpg (323.63 KiB) Viewed 161 times

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 am

Posco wrote:What becomes of the post marked "Batt" on the alternator? I don't have notes that anything was run to/from it.
Refer back to the wiring diagram on the first page of this topic. The alternator Bat terminal should be wired as shown.

Something wrong with the alternator. The black wire coming out of the hole in back right side of the alternator shouldn't be there. Unless it's the battery terminal wire. At this point I don't know. But the individual who installed the oil pressure switch knew what he was doing.

My current thought is that I would replace the Hitachi alternator, in unknown condition, with a single wire alternator. I would do that rather than trying to straighten out the current wiring system and then find out that the Hitachi didn't work.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:39 am

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:54 am

With your guys help I think we may have conquered it. I got all of the wiring put in place with the exception of the light switch...it started raining and I'm working outside. Of course, the hood and gas tank are removed so it would crank but not run with the gasoline deficit. I couldn't check the ammeter to see if it was charging but nothing was smoking. I consider that a victory.

If I see the battery is not charging I'll go the with the new alternator as suggested.

Thanks for all of the help.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Here's a terrible pic of my new alternator. You can see the spade terminals slightly to the upper left. A little right of 12 o'clock you can see what I gather is a small condensor with a wire leading from it to a post. There is a loose nut on that post so I gather they intend to pick that up for something.

What wire do I run to that post? It came with no wiring instructions and I don't want to smoke another alternator.
Attachments
Cub electrical 019.jpg
Cub electrical 019.jpg (323.58 KiB) Viewed 133 times

Return to “Farmall Cub”