This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Should seeing oversprayed paint bother me?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Should seeing oversprayed paint bother me?

Postby pgmrdan » Mon May 30, 2005 7:42 pm

When I look at tractors for sale and see paint oversprayed onto tires, hoses, batteries, spark plug wires, etc. should I be concerned?

It bothers me but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon May 30, 2005 7:59 pm

I'd say it was an indication of attention to detail. If this is how they painted it, how did they handle the repairs?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 30, 2005 8:01 pm

The only time it bothers me is on spark plug wires and dist cap. I understand IH jut put it together and painted everything at once. Thing is they knew what was in their paint.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Mon May 30, 2005 8:03 pm

i do auto body and when you see a job like that, it usually means the work was done the same way.

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Mon May 30, 2005 8:20 pm

For what it's worth it bothers me as much as not having the correct bolts.. :wink:
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon May 30, 2005 8:41 pm

It bothers me! Of course, mine has taken forever and there is a tiny bit of overspray on the regulator.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 30, 2005 8:56 pm

Depends on you and the person who did the work. I am a stickler for getting the mechanicla parts right, but not so much so aobut the paint. Each person has his own prioities.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

JJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JJ » Tue May 31, 2005 9:21 am

When I see anything for sale with sloppy overspray it looks to me like someone just threw some paint on to jack up the price.
Unfortunatly this scheme works more often then not.
It's an indication of false representation to me and I would not buy something like this. Restoration is one thing.. hiding defects just seems like deception to me
He who laughs last thinks slowest

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: Should seeing oversprayed paint bother me?

Postby George Willer » Tue May 31, 2005 9:27 am

pgmrdan wrote:When I look at tractors for sale and see paint oversprayed onto tires, hoses, batteries, spark plug wires, etc. should I be concerned?

It bothers me but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan,

You should be concerned only if you care about the quality of work on the tractor in general. The overspray you can see is a fair indicator of the quality of work that you can't see. It says whoever did the work takes no pride in his work.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Tue May 31, 2005 8:27 pm

I'm not sure that I agree with others of it being a sign of there workmenship, However it doese lean that way, It looks like Sh-- to me as well, aand I hate it. But if i'm painting rimes and there in good shape , I doubt that I'll break the tires to paint them, and IH painted every thing and that is no sign of qualty workmenship . They just had every thing new" I guess it's just fun to disigree once in awhile :roll:

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Overhaul by Dupont

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Tue May 31, 2005 8:36 pm

Paint is like gravy. It covers up a lot of mistakes. It only takes a bit of masking tape (or electrical tape for the conture) and some newspaper for a decent job. I'm always leary when something has fresh paint on places it doesn't belong.

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Overhaul by Dupont

Postby WJ » Tue May 31, 2005 8:41 pm

Charles (49) Mo wrote:Paint is like gravy. It covers up a lot of mistakes.

I guess thats why momma made so much gravy :P
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue May 31, 2005 8:41 pm

Dan:

George wrote:

You should be concerned only if you care about the quality of work on the tractor in general. The overspray you can see is a fair indicator of the quality of work that you can't see. It says whoever did the work takes no pride in his work.

I most heartily agree with his sentiments. Being an old fashioned perfectionist, it is something that I insist upon. From the beginning to end of a project, one must always put the very best of themselves into it. They need not be terribly skilled, but must have pride in themselves and in their project.

If they do not show pride throughout the whole of the project, then doubt must be cast as to how many other shortcuts or lack of attention was paid. Especially as George and others have said - in the area's you cannot see readily.

course that is just my deux centimes worth of opinion.

Also, the dolt that painted Ellie for my brother-in-law most assuredly subscribed to JJ's theory. Over spray, didn't bother cleaning, just painted the dirt and grease and crud. Took me weeks to clean it up, and it still isn't all done :!: :roll: :? :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue May 31, 2005 10:09 pm

Everyone has their pet peeves. Mine is overpray on the tires. I realize the inconvience of dismount, but I wouldn't do it any other way. Many repainted tractors are done in haste or detail for retail. I would much rather buy an old salty than purfume on a pig. Last year there was a sale near me and the owner of a F300 hired someone to come in and paint it. It took one after noon to accomplish. Well that just klled the deal for me, I wouldn't even bid on it after that, but the shine ( even if it was over grease and dirt) did the trick. It sold very well.

Return to “Farmall Cub”