Timing Advance?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Re: Timing Advance?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:42 am

Bob, under the plate the points mount on are weights and springs that cause the advance as it speeds up. The shaft the rotor and points operate with is actually a separate shaft form the one that drives the distributor with one shaft being inside the other. That may be gunked/rusted and need to be cleaned and lubed. with the engine not running you should be able to use your hand to turn the rotor forward and backward a few degrees, with the springs returning it when you release it.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Timing Advance?

Postby BobM » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks John. I've never had that plate off and was a little concerned that I may screw it up if I went digging in there.

I just went out and held the drive gear and turned the shaft. It was stiff. I lubed it again and worked it several more times. It appears to be freeing up a little. I will continue to lube it and move it for the rest of the day and reinstall it in the morning.

Thank you again.
BobM
5+ Years
5+ Years

Zip Code: 02536
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Return to Farmall Cub