This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How much??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How much??

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:29 pm

I have one really nice Cub and that is only because the previous owner made it that way. I baby that Cub (well okay, I rev it up now and then :lol: ). My other tractors have seen their days and they show it. I doubt any of them will ever see new paint. However, if I ever found out one of those tractors had belonged to my dad or granddad AND I planned to keep it or pass it on to my daughter, then I wouldn't hesitate to spend every dime I could on it.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:47 pm

The cost of restoration is dependant on how much work you can do yourself. The more you can do, the less expensive it will be. As far as cost goes, I restored my '53 doing all the work myself except for the machine work on the engine block. Including the $600 I paid for the Cub at a garage sale, I have about $2500 total in the Cub. The Cub is now as good as new with everything having been gone through and brought back into specification. If I had paid someone to restore it for me, I would probably have $6000 or more in it. If I were to sell my Cub today, in my area, I could probably get maybe $2000 - $2200 for it. Even though I have a little more in it than I could probably get out of it, I know I have a "new" Cub that will last me as long as I'm around to use it and I get a lot of satisfaction knowing I did everything right in the restoration and did not cut any corners in it's build. Knowing that, I don't expect any issues with the Cub in the future and it has been trouble free for the last 5 or 6 years since it's completion.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:15 am

What a surprise to open up your post this morning and see my tractor! :lol: Of all the '48 Cubs pictured on this site, I'm flattered that you'd use mine as an example.

I would agree double the price in most cases, but not always. Sometimes it's MORE!$$!! I paid $300 for it with a good 42" Woods attached (sold to Boss Hog for almost that price). So, the initial "start-up" cost was pocket change. The overhaul was $850 and the paint was $200; those were the two biggest costs. Everything else was nickle and dime along the way. Unless you keep meticulous records, you'll never really know how much you spent...

...that's why I stopped keeping records after my first Cub. :D

Whether you decided to do it or not, just enjoy what you're doing. If you're paying all this cash out for something you won't enjoy, what's the point in that?

dgrapes59 wrote:Oh, and I don't think Stanton would sell the one you pictured for twice the 2,750 noted. :wink:

You got that one right!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:05 am

I have never "restored" a cub,but I have refurbished a couple. To me, restored means making it exactly as it was when it left the factory, which is nearly impossible. I have refurbished a couple though, which were working tractors with known problems, that I tore down, wire wheeled or replaced all the nuts and bolts, replaced all the seals and gaskets, inspected and replaced all the bearings and gears, overhauled the engines (machine shop work), then while apart primed each piece, and when assembled repainted. I figured that if I put that much work into the mechanical part I wanted it to look decent also. I did not use fancy clear coat or hardener, etc. just the IH 2150. I do occasionally take them to shows or parades, but they are working tractors, and it is not hard to tell they are. No matter how careful you are with a working tractor it is going to get scratches, scrapes, etc. on it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ricky racer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:54 am

Stanton wrote:What a surprise to open up your post this morning and see my tractor! :lol: Of all the '48 Cubs pictured on this site, I'm flattered that you'd use mine as an example.

I would agree double the price in most cases, but not always. Sometimes it's MORE!$$!! I paid $300 for it with a good 42" Woods attached (sold to Boss Hog for almost that price). So, the initial "start-up" cost was pocket change. The overhaul was $850 and the paint was $200; those were the two biggest costs. Everything else was nickle and dime along the way. Unless you keep meticulous records, you'll never really know how much you spent...

Whether you decided to do it or not, just enjoy what you're doing. If you're paying all this cash out for something you won't enjoy, what's the point in that?

dgrapes59 wrote:Oh, and I don't think Stanton would sell the one you pictured for twice the 2,750 noted. :wink:

You got that one right!

I slightly disagree with you Stanton on keeping track of your expenses. In my opinion you should keep all receipts and records pertaining to a tractor. Should you ever decide to sell it or heaven forbid your family sells it to settle your estate once you're gone, having records to show what was done to and what went into a tractor should help get top money from the tractor. The trick is to not let your wife see what you spent. :lol: Once you're gone and they go to settle your estate, it's too late for her to bend your ear. :lol: :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ricky racer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:04 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have never "restored" a cub,but I have refurbished a couple. To me, restored means making it exactly as it was when it left the factory, which is nearly impossible. I have refurbished a couple though, which were working tractors with known problems, that I tore down, wire wheeled or replaced all the nuts and bolts, replaced all the seals and gaskets, inspected and replaced all the bearings and gears, overhauled the engines (machine shop work), then while apart primed each piece, and when assembled repainted. I figured that if I put that much work into the mechanical part I wanted it to look decent also. I did not use fancy clear coat or hardener, etc. just the IH 2150. I do occasionally take them to shows or parades, but they are working tractors, and it is not hard to tell they are. No matter how careful you are with a working tractor it is going to get scratches, scrapes, etc. on it.

You are right John, I always considered mine a rest-o-mod. Kind of a restoration but with modifications. For example I added a by-pass block to power my angle attachment on my Leveling & Grader Blade. I used readily available headlight sealed beams instead of the high dollar units etc. I couldn't bring myself to paint the distributor cap, wires fan belt etc. It just didn't seem right. :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Smarg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99003
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, serial # 44775.

Postby Smarg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:48 pm

Stanton wrote:What a surprise to open up your post this morning and see my tractor! :lol: Of all the '48 Cubs pictured on this site, I'm flattered that you'd use mine as an example.

You got that one right!

Hey, you've got what I want mine to look like one day. I would certainly be proud of that little bugger.

Also, I just ran into an issue with mine, wonder if you or anyone else can help. I'll go back and continue it on my original thread...

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:00 am

Lots of GREAT advise here...so I'll throw in my 2 centavos :D

I believe the most important consideration here is the fact that this Cub is part of your family. How you FEEL about that will help you decide to what level of restoration you'll want to go to. If the cub belonged to your Father or Grand Father and it was his pride & joy...HOW did he use and care for it ? Was it used on the farm in work clothes, or kept shinny and parade-ready at all times ? OR something in between ?

How are YOU going to use this family tractor ?

How do you want it passed down through your Family and to WHO ?

Once you answer all these questions...you'll know the level of restoration you need to do. These great, little tractors give all levels of satisfaction and frustration to their owners...HOWEVER, I believe you can't compare the sight of a member of your Family's SMILE as they're going for a ride or drive with you on that Cub that they remember from long ago...PRICELESS :wink: 'Country'
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:55 am

Many great replies here and I agree it's all about how YOU feel about YOUR tractor. If you like your Cub, you like tinkering and working on it, and probably most importantly if you like operating it, regardless of your personal history with the Cub, then go for it. You will have no regrets. If you have personal history with it then it's all that much better. If you think you want a 20 or 30 something hp machine you will pay far more initially and if it needs repairs that will cost you more too. All else set aside, like others have said for what they can do from a $ and cents approach, you can hardly do better.
Eugene wrote:Smarg wrote:Am I potentially putting a crapload of money and labor into this, and only getting personal satisfaction?
Correct, and a great little tractor! :D Oh yeah - How Much? - Priceless!!
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Lahti35
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48708
Tractors Owned: None... sniff, sniff.

Postby Lahti35 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:22 am

Smokeycub wrote: All else set aside, like others have said for what they can do from a $ and cents approach, you can hardly do better.
Eugene wrote:Smarg wrote:Am I potentially putting a crapload of money and labor into this, and only getting personal satisfaction?

Right-on! I'm looking forward to spending some $$$ on my future tractor. Compared to the cars I've restored Cub resto money seems like kiddy change!* Its all realative I suppose but the '36 chevy I have going now would require $3000 just for an engine rebuild should it destruct. These cubs are the deal of the day for my $$$ :D

*Disclaimer: I am not loaded (I discard my shoes when they reach 6 holes) and do as much work as possible myself on anything I fix.
Carrying on the proud family tradition of dragging home and fixing up other peoples messed up machinery...

Return to “Farmall Cub”