This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A slight miss and not much power

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dukester
10+ Years
10+ Years

A slight miss and not much power

Postby Dukester » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:48 pm

This 1948 want's to miss a little when I put it in a strain and it seems as though it has no power. I have new plugs,wires,points,magneto,carb. rebuilt and when I try to adjust the timing it seems as though the motor doesn't change when I move the magneto back and forth. I wonder if it could have any thing to do with the governer? I have adjusted the rod to the carb. but can't tell that it has help anything.It starts and idles like a new tractor but their is something wrong and I can't figure it out. HELP
    Rex Crabtree 1948 Cub "Alice"
    "The sun don't shine on the same dog all the time"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

'60_Lo-Boy
    10+ Years
    10+ Years

Postby '60_Lo-Boy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:59 pm

are the wires metal or composite core?
    Aaron.

WKPoor
    10+ Years
    10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:33 pm

I've been there with a mag. I would make sure you have copper core wires for best performance, however thats probably not the root of your problem. Could be a weak mag. First make sure the mag points are adjusted to exactly .013". Next test mag coil with Ohm meter and see if secondary windings are at least 10K ohm. This may not show a bad coil but its a start. Coils are only about $40.00 and the new ones are a bit stronger than the original. Basically before you get on to the carb again I would make sure you are getting a good spark. Rotating the mag while its running should produce a noticeable retard or advance sound.

Dukester
    10+ Years
    10+ Years

Postby Dukester » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:12 pm

the plug wires have a wire in them, butt they aren't very expensive. I think the points were set on 14 and it doesn't have a coil it has a new magneto in it.It is on a 6 volt system Please advise

WKPoor
      10+ Years
      10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:21 pm

You sure do have a coil. Its under the cover where the high tension lead comes out of. I don't think modern technology has found a way yet to boost 6V to 15,000V+ without a transformer (coil) of somekind. You can check coil resistance without any dissassembly.

Dukester
      10+ Years
      10+ Years

Postby Dukester » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:57 pm

I will get some one to test it for me. I not long ago bought it but thats not to say that it's good. It sounds to me that you think it is a firing problem. As you can tell i'm not a mechanic so all the help I can get is appreciated

WKPoor
      10+ Years
      10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:05 pm

I got a rebuilt mag last year and it wasn't any good and the next one sent to me wasn't much better. I ended up building one of my own with a new coil. works good now.

Dukester
      10+ Years
      10+ Years

Postby Dukester » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:22 pm

I'll give it a good checking over

Mag Man
      10+ Years
      10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:32 am

You Boys need to use my services,
      I may make a mistake here and there but always correct it and no mag leaves here without beingh bench tested.
      One thing though I have found the reading on the new coils to be just under ten for a J4 and about 12 for a H4 coil J4 9.6 to be exact.
      If you need help Rex let me know.
      JON

Return to “Farmall Cub”