Split Fan Pulley!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:04 pm

We recently had to buy a new pulley to connect to our belly mower,
100_2944 - Version 2.JPG
put it on
100_4724.JPG
, kept throwing the belt, hmm, then starter went, had that repaired, now, the guys decided to tighten up the alternator a little bit, to keep the battery charged. So, the rear part of the fan pulley split!
100_4836.JPG
What next?? After an hour or so of sweat, we managed to take off the air cleaner, the top radiator hose, pulled off the fan & pulley assembly. Took it to the neighbor for tack welds. (Which it had before, is that what it should have? Three tack welds.) Next trip, we'll try to put it all back together, including resetting the mower pulleys, loosening the alternator just slightly, filling the radiator back up, wonder what will give up next?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Split Fan Pulley!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Make sure when you put the fan pulley on that you do not turn the nut on the rear of the shaft. You should always turn the fan shaft or you might break the front engine cover.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:44 pm

As you probably already discovered, it uses just one wrench, 13/16 open end, thin head, applied just in front of the uprights. The big nut on the back is captured by the uprights and cannot turn-- except when accompanied by destruction.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi,
Looks like you've done a lot of work to your Cub. I just wondered, is the end of the exhaust like it looks in the picture, pointed right at the pulley and belt ? All the heat from that doesn't help the pulley and belt. Would be good to change it somehow, maybe put on a piece of flex pipe, and run it out the back a little. :)

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Just in case, those two pulleys at the mule drive, on the mower, should be at approximately the same height. Try to make the belt level as it leaves the mower and goes to the mule drive, and make both sides level. If still throwing belt, check that belt from mule drive to PTO is square (at 90 degrees); if not, move PTO pulley in or out to square it. Lastly, if belt has been twisted or kinked enough times, you won't keep it on anyway; get a new belt, and then do the alignments I described above.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:40 pm

Glen, the underslung mufflers have a "whistle" crimp to them that directs the exhaust downward. Photo from TM Tractor. Image

Bob

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:33 pm

Nah, the exhaust has been changed by someone previously, we'll do something about it later. We tried again last wknd, but it is still popping off, brought it home to find a new one, cracked along the edge, and on the inside. Looking for belt number info, now where did y'all post that bit?

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Nice paint scheme on your cub.
You should be able to move the ALT belt 0.5 inches at mid point with thumb pressure; do not over tighten the belt. I bet she'll be running good soon!
Dave

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:23 pm

She is running again, now if I can just find a new belt, we'll be off & running. I found a post somewhere in here, it says the belt we need should be A B136 v belt. We'll hope it works. Thanks about the paint job.
100_2916.JPG
100_2917.JPG
Home Depot, we got the red and white Rustoleum enamel. Looked very good. Not the exact colors, not cream.
100_4717.JPG
But, she looks happier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:21 pm

IMG_2829.jpg

normal

IMG_2828.jpg

abnormal

Just so you don't feel alone my fan needed replaced for the same reason.

Todd

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:14 am

I am the last one to critisize someone's handle name (mine is taken from a local band some years ago) but by the looks of that cub, you might have to change your handle name to cub prime? She looks great.

Wish I could confirm the belt number but I run a woods 59. If you got the info on this awesome site than you should be fine.
Dave

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:52 am

Hmmm, that pulley does look bad!
Thanks for the compliments on her looks, we did put in a lot of brush time! (Particularly I did.) My handle comes from my earning system.
The belt replacement worked we found the right one, same as the old one, at the auto parts store. So, off & running again, but the D@#$%# starter smoked out again! We got a lot of the cleared acres mowed, Our Ted had stopped for a break, then it went.
He & my husband worked on the old Poulan Riding mower, got it running, finished the necessary. Starter will head back to the guy who repaired it for a checkup. I say, to the junkyard for a spare! Just in case! The parts store wants almost $300! for a 6v. We need to stick w the 12v system, now that so much has been changed.
I want to name our Cub "Broccoli", but the guys don't like it. Anybody in here get my joke? I'm looking for her true name, but she hasn't told it to me yet.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:35 am

CJ:

Take the starter to an authorized AC Delco Service Center or to a really good olde tyme Starter Generator Shop. It will cost you a lot less and you should end up with a perfectly functioning starter. Also, there are good 12v used starters on :eBay: and you can get them fairly reasonable. Patience is the key on the bay ...

The Cub looks really nice, y'all did a great job on it. Congrats :applause:

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Cub Junk wrote: Anybody in here get my joke?

not this guy !

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Rudi, we did take it to an old fashioned repair shop, they tested it again today for us, it's not the starter this time, so now back to reading everybody's earlier posts, I know I saw some things this AM about wiring smoke. I'll find it. to Bob Perry, is that a line from one of his movies? I haven't seen many of them, but I remember seeing his name in the credits of some. My husband and Ted just don't like it. They haven't come up with a good name either!