This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front Main Seal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dutch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Front Main Seal

Postby Dutch » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:52 pm

Ok Boys, we (I mean we as in Henry)have a leak from the front main seal. I know some go easier than others but is it a night or a day or a weekend job. Any hints or tips that on things I should look out for and it looks like have to pull the front section off to pull the pully easy or do I? OR do I just keep him full of oil and keep her clean, and oil change often, then replace it this winter. We had a good plowing season, We don't want to miss mowing!

denton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24550
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Ford 8N
1953 Allis CA (not running)
1996 Kubota M4700

Postby denton » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:50 pm

I ran a large post through my radiator and through the timing cover in the front of the engine way out in the back of my property. I had to replace the cover which is only a few bolts away from the same thing as the front pulley.

It took me about two hours to remove front of the tractor. The front will roll away from the tractor pretty much intact. I have done it by myself many times but it does help to have an extra pair of hands.

The front pulley can be a real bear the first time off. Mine has been pulled a couple times and I have it coated with anti-sieze so it comes off pretty well. It took me about an hour to pull it the first time and that was because I was being careful. It took lots of heat and lots of pressure to get it to move. Once it started moving it came right off. Use a bearing backer plate and a good puller. I like to put a 1/2-13 bolt in the crank hole with a small indention hollowed out in the front of the bolt to center and hold my 3 jaw puller. There are several ways to pull. Mine did require more heat than I was ever comfortable with the first time but it did no damage.

All in all I would figure five hours give or take depending on pulley behavior. If it has a slight drip I wouldn't sweat it this summer and make it a winter project. If it leaks like the one I bought Saturday however you might want to do the deal. Mine will literally drip a good drip each second. Can't have that much.

Good luck
Denton

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:01 pm

This link to older posts shows some variations on pullers that make the job much easier.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewto ... sc&start=0

Dutch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dutch » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:07 am

Thank you Gentlemen I have a winter project !