Weeping from cylinder head

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Re: Weeping from cylinder head

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Andy:

Sourcing from the US or Canada may not be the only viable method. As you know there are/were lots of Cubs in France -- so there must be boneyards or parts Cubs all over the continent that might have a donor head available. Suggest you search the local forums there . I know Yaume and a few others are on a couple of forums in France and there are a number of Cub owners on those forums. They might be able to help you and keep the shipping costs down. I do know how expensive it is to ship out of the US. That is why a lot of my parts I pick up when I goes statestide. Much cheaper than the postal route.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: E1A7J3
eBay ID: ve9rhs
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1951 Cub "Jethro"
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby ntrenn » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Bars leak does some good, but if you have nothing to lose, go to your local GM dealer (Vauxhall) and get the GM seal tabs in the parts department (about £3). Crush a couple of those into the top tank and run the tractor normally for a few hours. If it's still leaking, then consider the replace head method.
The head on my '65 loboy has been braze repaired more than once, and still seeps a little, but the GM seal tabs have all but stopped the seeping.
I know all you old timers insist on the head gasket sealers - and I have a mechanic that swears by them, but I've only put them on dry, straight out of the box, and have yet to have one leak....
ntrenn
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby AndyMac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks for the advice ntrenn (and of course all the others) - an interesting suggestion that I will investigate.
An International parts dealer in UK can supply a new head for £218 plus 20% local tax which equates to about $409 - so when I see them available refurbished at $125 or new at $180 Stateside it is a bitter pill to swallow.
Anyway there is a big show at Scone Palace in Scotland early September featuring Farmall so there might be a few people over from Southern Ireland with interesting bits and bobs. The Cub was imported to Southern Ireland but I am told never officially to UK - so she is quite a rare sight within these shores.
I'll keep you up-dated on progress.
AndyMac

Zip Code: GU52

Previous

Return to Farmall Cub