This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Weeping from cylinder head

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Weeping from cylinder head

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Andy:

Sourcing from the US or Canada may not be the only viable method. As you know there are/were lots of Cubs in France -- so there must be boneyards or parts Cubs all over the continent that might have a donor head available. Suggest you search the local forums there . I know Yaume and a few others are on a couple of forums in France and there are a number of Cub owners on those forums. They might be able to help you and keep the shipping costs down. I do know how expensive it is to ship out of the US. That is why a lot of my parts I pick up when I goes statestide. Much cheaper than the postal route.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ntrenn » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Bars leak does some good, but if you have nothing to lose, go to your local GM dealer (Vauxhall) and get the GM seal tabs in the parts department (about £3). Crush a couple of those into the top tank and run the tractor normally for a few hours. If it's still leaking, then consider the replace head method.
The head on my '65 loboy has been braze repaired more than once, and still seeps a little, but the GM seal tabs have all but stopped the seeping.
I know all you old timers insist on the head gasket sealers - and I have a mechanic that swears by them, but I've only put them on dry, straight out of the box, and have yet to have one leak....

AndyMac
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: GU52

Postby AndyMac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks for the advice ntrenn (and of course all the others) - an interesting suggestion that I will investigate.
An International parts dealer in UK can supply a new head for £218 plus 20% local tax which equates to about $409 - so when I see them available refurbished at $125 or new at $180 Stateside it is a bitter pill to swallow.
Anyway there is a big show at Scone Palace in Scotland early September featuring Farmall so there might be a few people over from Southern Ireland with interesting bits and bobs. The Cub was imported to Southern Ireland but I am told never officially to UK - so she is quite a rare sight within these shores.
I'll keep you up-dated on progress.

Return to “Farmall Cub”