This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic Lift leaks

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave123
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06784

Hydraulic Lift leaks

Postby Dave123 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:29 pm

The Hydraulic Lift system on my Cub seems to leak. The touch control system works fine however when I fill the hydraulic lift reservoir with oil it begins to leak from multiple spots. The leaks I am noticing are mainly coming down and dripping from inside the clutch housing, and it also leaks a little bit at the bottom of the reservoir. After ten minutes or so of the pump being filled with oil there is a giant puddle of oil right underneath the clutch housing and within a day the pump reservoir is completely out of oil. Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Hydraulic Lift leaks

Postby tmays » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:17 pm

You should be able to see where the fluid is leaking if you look closely. Degrease the body, pour more fluid in, and check. Clean unit will make it easier to see.
Thomas

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Unless it's leaking where the manifold lines attach to the block, you'll likely need a rebuild. Check the part # on the block as there are two versions. TM Tractor carries both.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:23 am

Welcome to the forum....If its leaking that badly I think Bob is right..Sounds like rebuild time...Mine was leaking and I wasn't about to tear in to it this time of year...Although I do not advocate additives I used some auto transmission fluid stop leak...It seems to have helped and may get me by till fall...This is just what I did and not recommended procedure, but as I am going to rebuild it anyways :shock: ....Again welcome, Dave
In Memory of 58,286

169Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54904
eBay ID: jsdnar
Tractors Owned: Original Cub Cadet
169 x2
1957 Farmall Cub
John Deere 3120

Postby 169Cub » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:37 am

It sounds likes yours is leaking where mine is. I have the unit off my Cub now and I am going to start rebuilding mine soon. Hopefully later this week. It is not too hard of a job, but you will need to remove the hood, and the lift control lines as well as the throttle line that runs on top of the touch control to the governor. While mine is off, I already ran a tap through the threads where the touch control mounts to make it easier to get the unit re-installed. There are a couple of mounting bolts that are tricky. BTW, I would recommend disconnecting the battery. All of the wires for the Cub attach there to the switches etc. you don't want arcy sparky going on.

BTW guys, are there any torque values that I need to be aware of on the touch control unit? I noticed that there are a lot of bolts on the unit and I was thinking about checking the torque on them before I disassemble it, but I wanted to ask you all about it. I don't recollect seeing any torque values on the "How to rebuild your TC".
Lovin' IH for over a decade.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:52 am

Just a thought (and I have so few these days!!)...have you checked the engine oil level to make sure you do not have more than one problem? What I mean is, IF the seal on the hydraulic pump is leaking hydraulic fluid into the crankcase, and IF the rear engine seal is leaking, THEN you would get all that oil coming out the clutch housing. Check to see if the crankcase oil level is too high.

The problem is, that there is almost no way the hydraulic fluid can get INTO or OUT of the clutch housing, that I know of. Now, it could be just running along the outside of the housing, then dripping from the lowest point (inspection hole), in which case...rebuild time for the touch control, and as mentioned, it is not hard, just tedious and you need to be meticulous about cleanliness. Take photos, keep things clean, and flush the block well. You do get extra o-rings in the kits (which are a bit pricey), but I do not believe the kits include the small little valves (that are now made of plastic!). You probably should replace those while you have it apart. You will also need to have a tool (which can be made from a socket or chisel...see previous posts) to remove one part.

There are some good posts about the rebuilding...check them out and good luck!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Dave123
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave123 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I have now taken the lift off of the tractor and I am now waiting for my rebuild kit to arrive. Does anybody happen to have any good links on how to go about doing a rebuild or any instructions/steps. Thanks, Dave.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Here's a link to the "How to" section that covers hydraulics. There are 4 or 5 separate posts, so you'll have to scroll through the list to find them:
viewforum.php?f=141 When you get going, feel free to ask questions.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

169Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54904
eBay ID: jsdnar
Tractors Owned: Original Cub Cadet
169 x2
1957 Farmall Cub
John Deere 3120

Postby 169Cub » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Lovin' IH for over a decade.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Dave:

G'day to you and sorry to hear about the TC Troubles. One of the things that we do have in this community is resources .. lots of resources. From manuals to the CBoK aka Cub Book of Knowledge. I would strongly suggest that you follow the links in the welcome wagon below.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.

To address directly your issues with the TC, these might be of help to you : GSS 1024 - Touch Control and

CBok wrote:

Touch Control

1. How To Rebuild A Touch Control
  2. How To Rebuild A Touch Control Pump
  3. How To Rebuild A Touch Control Reservoir IH Part # 360 719 R1
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dave123
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave123 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks again for all the feedback. My next question that I forgot to mention is when you apply a gasket weather it is an oil pan gasket or a hydraulic lift reservoir gasket is there some time of sealant that you apply to the gasket before you put the gasket on and bolt the 2 pieces together. I have heard in the past that Tractor Supply sells a sealant that you must apply to the gasket first however, i am not certain.
Thanks

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:03 pm

Dave123 wrote:My next question that I forgot to mention is when you apply a gasket weather it is an oil pan gasket or a hydraulic lift reservoir gasket is there some time of sealant that you apply to the gasket before you put the gasket on and bolt the 2 pieces together. I have heard in the past that Tractor Supply sells a sealant that you must apply to the gasket first however, i am not certain.
Thanks

To answer your question, many of us use different products but most of them do the same thing. I use Hi-Tack which holds the gasket in place when putting things back together such as head gaskets, oil pan gaskets etc. Some use Indian Head Gasket Sealant.

When it comes to the Touch Control - and I haven't rebuild the reservoir yet, just did the manifold a bunch of times - all I did was rub some Hy-Tran on the manifold, the gasket (both sides) and the reservoir. That held the gasket in place long enough to get the manifold back on.
Last edited by Rudi on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correct oversight
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:37 pm

I wouldn't put any sealant on the hydraulic reservoir. You don't want any of that stuff squeezing out into the reservoir.
Thomas

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:34 pm

I've used Indian Head on the base gasket on the ones I've done and never had a problem.

Return to “Farmall Cub”