This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO shaft adaptor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pharmerphil3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06468
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub
1961 Cub
1963 Cub
1964 Cub Cadet 70
1969 Cub Cadet 125
100 Spreader
144 Cultivator
3 Field Cultivator
22 Sickle Mower
193 Plow
54-Plow
59 Wood's Mower
2030 John Deere
Circle of Safety: Y

PTO shaft adaptor

Postby pharmerphil3 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:22 am

Good day everyone; I plan to use one of my Cubs to spray my vegetable fields. A while back I remember seeing an adaptor that standardizes the Cub's PTO shaft. Has anyone here used this attachment? Do they work? Are they still available and if so where can they be purchased? If this attachment isn’t worth the time what type of “agricultural use” pump could I use with a Cub?

Thanks for your time, :D
Phil

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: PTO shaft adaptor

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:27 am

It standardizes the Cub PTO in terms of shaft size and spline count, but NOT direction of rotation or speed. In other words, very limited usefulness for standard PTO equipment.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:06 am

I was in Columbia Tractor the other day and they had them on the shelf
Tim

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:09 am

Hy-Pro makes a small omni-directional pto driven pump. I found a sleeve adapter that goes over the pto shaft and fastens with a set screw. It's a small pump with great output even at low rpm. I had to use a regulator for my sprayer set up.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:06 am

Harold R wrote:Hy-Pro makes a small omni-directional pto driven pump. I found a sleeve adapter that goes over the pto shaft and fastens with a set screw. It's a small pump with great output even at low rpm. I had to use a regulator for my sprayer set up.

I believe this is the one Harold is referring to http://www.hypropumps.com/EngineeredProduct_Product_Series4001.aspx. I checked into making a sprayer a couple of years ago and Hypro is where I started and ended my search for a pump. In the late 80s and early 90s I used the spray rig that Dad made for the Cub. He used a small Hypro pump and it worked like a champ. Unlike "PVF1799" I do not have access to a 'Magic Barn,' way too much drama to put up with my sisters.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:54 am

If you are planning on building a sprayer - suggest looking at the 12 volt, 15 gallon plastic tanked sprayers sold by many Ag related stores. Guessing, in the low $200- price range for sprayer with boom.

I believe the 12 volt sprayer will be cheaper than purchasing all of the parts needed to build a pto powered sprayer.

Edit: Orschlen web site has the Fimco, 15 gallon sprayer listed for $79.99. The boom, if needed, will be an additional cost.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:19 am

One of the compact John Deeres had the same size pto shaft as the cub, and many JD dealers have the sleeve in stock. As has been mentioned this will not solve the problem of speed and rotation direction. cub pto runs at engine speed, 1800 rpm at full throttle, and counterclockwise, whereas standard pto is 540 rpm and clockwise. There are reverser/speed reducers to solve this problem, but they are rare and cost about the same as a cub. No new ones available, only used ones.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:46 am

Eugene wrote: suggest looking at the 12 volt, 15 gallon plastic tanked sprayers

I have one of these and I like it. However, be aware that you have to go very slow to get proper coverage. I can only go 1 mph when spraying for weeds. I don't mind, I'm just spraying my yard. and slower means more seat time. However, if you're spraying more than a couple acres of lawn, it's probably going to be too slow for you.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Phil:

This is a useful pump .. it is a bronze gear pump, runs cw and ccw .. it don't matter none and it isn't very expensive. Pop it on the PTO shaft - might need a mount .. but then that should be about it. I have been ruminating on this idea for a few years now. I don't much like the 12 volt diaphragm pumps - I have a tag-a-long for my JD L-111 and it is always needing leaks fixed. When you are dealing with Roundup and other herbicides leaks you DO NOT want.

1/2 in. Self-Lubricating Gear Pump

I guess I am going to have to find a new source for the pump. :(
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Many PTO sprayer pumps are designed for 540 RPM and 1000 RPM, and work in either direction. It would be okay to run one on a Cub with a simple sleeve adapter as long as you limit your throttle to 1000-1100 RPM.

Dunno if running the Cub at 1/2 throttle is acceptable or not, if it will generate enough HP to operate the pump and move the tractor. Running the pump too fast will lead to premature wear and failure.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Rudi wrote:... This is a useful pump .. it is a bronze gear pump, runs cw and ccw .. it don't matter none and it isn't very expensive. ...I guess I am going to have to find a new source for the pump. :(

Yes, Rudi, you not only need a new source for the pump, I would suggest a different style. A gear pump is a 'positive displacement' pump and if inadvertently deadheaded, the results can be real exciting real quick and expensive to fix.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Hmmmm... see, I keep learning. Deadheading rears it's ugly head again. I am trying to figure out though how to actually accomplish that. We were looking at 2 maybe 3 45 gallon barrels connected together via pipes which will provide the liquid that will be sprayed. Each tank will have a gauge .. to let us know how much is still in the tanks. If one pays attention to what one is doing . then it really shouldn't be a problem. I prefer a mechanical pump to a diaphragm pony pump -- I haven't had much luck with the life span on those things.

Also it doesn't matter at what speed you are running it .. I don't conceive of any situation where the rpm's should even come close to 1,000 rpm. But .. I is not a mechanic so ... I is still learning.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:40 am

As long as you don't have a valve or shutoff between the pump and the sprayer nozzles, deadheading shouldn't be a problem, because the pump output always has somewhere to go.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:14 am

Michael, that is what I kinda thought. Also this setup is not the one I was thinking about for spraying chemicals. More for pumping H2O onto the upper garden during dry times and of course watering the wittle trwees :lol: I don't use herbicides on the garden.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Does it have to be a pto driven pump? Why not just "drawbar mount the pump and use whatever pulleys are necessary to obtain the needed rpm? Or am I missing something? Vern

Return to “Farmall Cub”