Re: Woods 59 stabilizing

Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:12 pm

Mike, how about running chains from the TC bracket to the top holes of the skids on either side? You could easily do that to see if it eliminated the problem before buying caster wheels and doing some welding.

Bob

Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Chains won't help, the mower deck is always trying to "level" itself. It's suspended from a single point, and always trying to stay level. The only way to fix this is to install gauge wheels/casters where the skid shoes are, or lower the skid shoes so that they are about 1/2" higher than your cutting height. That way the skid shoes will touch and hold the deck off the ground.

My grandfather had a huge hill that we mowed with Cubs, and Lo Boys, and always had the same problem. Fortunately, we were a Woods dealer, so I just grabbed a set of casters and installed them at the outer edge of the deck.

Later in life, after IH went away, we all went to mowing with Simplicity equipment because all of their mower decks actually ride on the ground, with a roller running the full width of the mower deck, on the back of the deck. Even my 60" mower has a full width roller on the back of it. You can't beat the cut of a Simplicity mower deck, and they can not scalp or mow uneven.

Hmm. Maybe I should start fabricating rollers for installation on Woods decks. Sure would make them mow nice!!

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:25 pm

gitractorman wrote: You can't beat the cut of a Simplicity mower deck, and they can not scalp or mow uneven.
Got that right! I used to have a little Simplicity Broadmoore with 38" deck. The deck connects very close to the front axle and followed the axle to whatever undulation it rolled over. That and the rear rollers you mentioned it literally sculpted the lawn, the best looking cut my yard ever had.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:46 pm

I have never seen a woods 59 without the wheels at the front , but I have not seen that many

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:03 pm

Lucky for me, Merlin's Woods 59 will soon be wearing a set of front wheels! There is a micro-fest brewing in Northwest Ohio soon!

Thanks all for the help on this!

Mike

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:39 am

Just take extreme care in the placement of the wheels. It is very easy to position them in a place where they can contact the front wheels of the tractor.
It can become an issue while backing up and turning or backing down an uneven slope and the axel is pivoting on the center pin. (One front tire is lower than the other front tire relative to the back wheels)

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:12 am

Hengy wrote:Lucky for me, Merlin's Woods 59 will soon be wearing a set of front wheels! There is a micro-fest brewing in Northwest Ohio soon!

Mike

Mike,

Try northeast Ohio. :) :)

Bill

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:42 am

Doh! Sorry, you are correct as usual, King Friday. (remember Mister Rogers' Neighborhood?)

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:38 am

Bill Hudson wrote:
Hengy wrote:Lucky for me, Merlin's Woods 59 will soon be wearing a set of front wheels! There is a micro-fest brewing in Northwest Ohio soon!

Mike

Mike,

Try northeast Ohio. :) :)

Bill

What's this? When and where?

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:59 pm

My deck doesn't have casters. I have the same problem, but live with it. Take a couple of asprin and be sitting down when you price those casters.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:31 am

TomE wrote:be sitting down when you price those casters

No joke there! That's why I made some for my tag-along deck. I only had to buy new wheels which I got from AgriSupply for a Caroni deck. They're nice heavy duty wheels at a reasonable price.
http://www.agrisupply.com/gauge-wheel-c ... sid=&eid=/

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:51 am

I have mowed with a Cub and Woods 59 mower for years and have not had the problem you mention. I can send you a picture of my set up if you send me your e-mail. I have trouble posting pictures on this site.
Roger Gillen
rjg15y@yahoo.com

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:36 am

Had a great micro fest at Bill Hudson's cub house last night. Came home with way more than I originally intended to bring home, but had a great time and great fellowship with Bill, Smokeycub and (I'm really sorry, but I have forgotten the other handle!). Had a great supper and some excellent "jaw-jacking" with the guys.

Merlin's deck will be just awesome shortly once I mount the new set of guide wheels on it!

Thanks for a great time last night. I love these micro fests!!

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Hengy wrote:The linkage to the rear brackets do seem a little wallowed out . . .

I'm coming late to this party, but I suspect the above to be a bigger piece of the problem than it has been credited with.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:23 pm

The wheels did a great job of smoothing it out. I do agree that the wallowing needs to be addressed. Wonder if I could drill it out and then fit it with some bushings to tighten it back up...