This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New '54 Cub! (WOOHOO) But...Low Power

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
scotlem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02852

Re: New '54 Cub! (WOOHOO) But...Low Power

Postby scotlem » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:40 pm

your actually not to far off the path from where I go to when I visit my mother in Barkhamsted Ct. Unfortunately I'm not going there this weekend and the following weekend is Cecils minifest in kinderhook, NY. which gets me up there late on friday night after I leave work. If I was to cut my visit short at my mothers on that sunday I could look at in the late afternoon. Scot

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:46 am

Connecticut Calvin wrote:Even in first gear and my 185 pound butt in the seat, it struggles to go up even the slightest hill. Betty seems tired.
You need to diagnose the low power problem before proceeding to any other potential or suspected problems. Governor may or may not not be functioning, but, engine in decent condition should easily move the tractor in 1st gear at low idle.

Compression tests. Start with compression tests.Compression tests.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06070
Tractors Owned: '54 Farmall Cub "Betty"

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:19 am

UPDATE - Guys, Old Betty is running like she just came off the showroom floor, maybe better! :D I did a compression test. I have nearly 100 (+/- 5) through all four cylinders. Next, the governor examination! And you were right. It was the governor. I identified two problems. First, the tab that holds the t-bar with the threaded interior that's connected to the threaded end of the throttle linkage was bent in allowing for maybe 20% of its true travel range since it was hitting the side of the engine block. I carefully heated it with a mapp gas torch and bent the tab out. Second, the throttle linkage was out too far by maybe an inch so I made the adjustments according to the manual. I started her up and noticed the difference in speed steps right away. I thought, "OK, if this doesn't work I'm wondering what I've gotten myself into." First gear - - mid throttle - - slowly release the clutch - - and I swear I had a tear in my eye. This little girl has so much power I think I could have pulled a stump out of the ground. A venture through the woods proved the governor was worthy of hunting to keep the RPMs up. She rolled up and over anything in the way. Even the steeper hills on our side road were no match for 3rd gear at half through full throttle. It's emotional to see such a little beauty come so far in just a few days. No more shotgun-backfiring blowing off the exhaust rain guard. And I have you all to thank for it. I hope to meet you and see your little "Betties" one day and buy you a few :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: or maybe a :coffee: if you prefer. You went out of your way to assist me and for that I am grateful. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a tractor to go ride around on. :{_}:

Gentlemen: :thanx:
She thinks my tractor's sexy...

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Well now... isn't that just the grandest feeling :?: I is :{_}: for you. I know how you feel, really do. It is a great sense of accomplishment to be able to have your Betty running as she should and to be able to go where you want and not worry. Congrats :applause: on gittinerdone :!:

You really should look at getting to Cecil's in the fall. Many of us from NB, Me, Ct, Vt, NH, Md and from as far away as Ohiya .. It really will be an awesome weekend.

:thanx: for posting the update
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06070
Tractors Owned: '54 Farmall Cub "Betty"

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:29 pm

I most certainly will be looking into many gatherings! I can see how this little "hobby" is quite popular. As soon as I felt that governor working as it should I was like, "Holy :censored: this thing is cool!" Not only are these cubs fun to tinker with (especially when the outcome is them actually working) but they're useful too. My one acre is going to make my neighbors quite jealous indeed! :wink: Now I just need to find myself a loader.

Together now: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:
She thinks my tractor's sexy...

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Is it not GREAT when a plan comes together? Congratulations on getting the job done. My wife just doesn't understand why about old machinery. One experience with a new wannabe should do the trick, maybe not. Got Miss Piggy back together last week. She mows 6/8 inch grass 30 inches wide in high gear. Governor works perfectly(12 hp B&S).
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Well done Calvin! Ain't it great? Enjoy your "new" machine.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Congrats! Glad you had a chance to dig into it!! That is really great!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Return to “Farmall Cub”