Rim Bolts Question NC Grade 5 vs NF?

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Somewhere along the way the squared head 1/2 x 1.75" NF bolts got replaced with hex head bolts. Here is my question. I can buy a Sq. hd. zinc bolt 1/2 x 2 NC Grade 5. As the original was NF for torque reasons - would it be acceptable to use this substitute bolt in NC because it's Grade 5?

I can get them from McMaster Carr for $3.03 each.

I'm advised IH genuine at $14 and JD's are $5-6 each.

Ken

Re: Rim Bolts Question NC Grade 5 vs NF?

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:15 pm

I sell the course thread, but I use the fine thread. :D

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Ken, I just got some from JD. They came in a 5 pack and were $1.60 @ ($2.00 with nut).

Bob

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Go green on this one Ken

Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:33 am

I get mine from the Deere dealer. I might have the part number in the shop. If you want I'll pick some up for you.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:29 am

Cecil wrote:I get mine from the Deere dealer. I might have the part number in the shop. If you want I'll pick some up for you.

Thanks Cecil et al, for the advice. Cecil, it would be awesome if you could pick-up 8 with nuts.

Amazing group of people on this site.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:29 am

Cecil wrote:I get mine from the Deere dealer. I might have the part number in the shop. If you want I'll pick some up for you.

Cecil, please go ahead and post that part # if you have it.

Thanks.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:33 am

John Deere part number is 08h4465.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:41 am

Barnyard is that the number I posted the last time?

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Barnyard has the number. I have a couple of packs in the Cubhouse.

Bill

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:00 pm

Cecil wrote:Barnyard is that the number I posted the last time?

I don't know if you had posted it, but I found this number about a year ago. It may have been from one of your posts at one time.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:25 pm

On a technical basis, the NF at a given torque clamps tighter than does a NC at the same torque. In theory, and probably in practice most of the time, some higher torque value applied to the NC will result in the same clamping force. I suspect that the original specification was chosen carefully.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:01 pm

Bus Driver wrote:On a technical basis, the NF at a given torque clamps tighter than does a NC at the same torque. In theory, and probably in practice most of the time, some higher torque value applied to the NC will result in the same clamping force. I suspect that the original specification was chosen carefully.

Yes and it was for fine threads