Woods 59 question

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:24 am

I recently purchased another (new-to-me) cub with a Woods 59 mower. It mows the lawn so much faster than the 42" Danco on my other cub, but, it makes a lot more noise. The blades turn easily and don't appear to be in a bind. Is this noise normal? If yes, then I need some ear plugs! Thanks, Papa.

Re: Woods 59 question

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:57 am

I don't have the experience to compare a 42" with a 59", but: you have two more spindles, so you will have more noise. My Woods 59 does make a fair amount of noise (about as loud as the exhaust), but certainly not to the point of needing (or even considering) earplugs.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:11 pm

I had a very noisy 59. The spindles turned easily but were a bit loose. Put 3 new spindle assemblies on it and it quieted right down. That mower is now south of you in the Sunshine State.

Bill

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:17 pm

My 59 has noisy idlers on it. It's been so long since I have heard a "quiet one" that I don't know what is normal.

Mike

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:53 pm

I think my mower is a Woods 59. It has a chain drive mule, apparently in order to work with the fast hitch on the tractor. With this setup , the chain drive is the thing that makes the most noise.