Final drive? Noise.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:59 pm

I took the Cub for a spin around the block this afternoon and I noticed a very audible grinding, accompanied by the sound of some rattling parts in the left final drive. Gear, bearing? Within the scope of a backyard mechanic with few tools at his disposal?

If it were a car with a hubcap, it would sound like a loose nut rattling around.

I have discovered there is a guy in my area who most feel is competent and trustworthy to work on a beloved Cub. I haven't approached him about it yet.

Re: Final drive? Noise.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:26 pm

My guess would be the bearing in the final. More expert answers will follow shortly.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Mr E wrote:My guess would be the bearing in the final. More expert answers will follow shortly.

I appreciate your help. As always, there's a wealth of information to be had in just perusing these pages but I couldn't find anything pertaining to diagnosing my problem. I'm reluctant to pull it apart and not have the right tools for the job.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Always try the easiest thing first. Your symptoms are not necessarily consistent with what I am about to recommend, but it will cost you nothing to try. Tighten all the rim to center, center to hub and wheel weight bolts on the rear wheels. Since the left final is bolted directly to the transmission/differential, don't rule them out as the source of the noise. Is this a new noise?

Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:40 pm

:Dito: to what don said.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Is this a new noise?

It's a new tractor to me, Don, so I wouldn't know. Other than a few spins around the lawn and the ride today, that's all the time I have on it. I'll try what you mentioned and see if that helps. I'll let you know.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Does the left brake work? This one did work a little, but was making grinding rattling noises. Got quite a surprise when I pulled the final.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:59 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Does the left brake work? This one did work a little, but was making grinding rattling noises. Got quite a surprise when I pulled the final.

Funny that you mention that, John. When i took the tractor for a spin around the block today, I wanted to see if the breaks were spongy so I applied some moderate pressure to the peddles and the left break locked up while the right continued to turn. Some fine tuning required there.

I checked all of the bolts on the rim and hub and couldn't find anything loose so my problem appears deeper.