If you recall, I picked up a '61 Cub on July 4th. The Cub hadn't run in 4 years. I started working on it shortly after I got it home but didn't have much time to mess with it. Before I installed a new battery, I pulled all the spark plugs and shot a little oil in each cylinder to get some lube on the cylinder walls. I also primed the oil pump.
While I had all the plugs out I wanted to check for spark. Cranking it over I found none. Checked voltage to the coil and it was good. Checked the points and found they looked really bad and the gap was about .043" instead of the .020" called for in the manual. I cleaned the points and adjusted them to the recommended gap. Checked voltage to the points and it was good. Cranked it over, no spark.
Today I finally got new points and condenser at NAPA and installed them. Cranked it over and got spark.
Next I pulled the plug on the bottom of the carb to check fuel flow. None. The shut off valve on the sediment bowl turned pretty hard so I figured it was gunked up. Pulled sediment bowl and sure enough it was plugged up. Cleaned it out and reinstalled it on the tank. Added new gas. The tank will probably have to come off at some point to clean the rust out of it but it's not too bad.
Cranked it over and she slowly sprang to life. The governor is sticking and the engine has no throttle response. We'll fix that later. However, it runs and carries good oil pressure. The hydraulics did not work because the fluid level was to low. I drained the old fluid and added new Hytran fluid and now it works like it should. I still haven't got to drive it to see how everything else is working because it has now got something blocking the fuel so that needs to be addressed but I ran out of time today.
So all in all, a good day.
Last edited by ricky racer on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.