This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Welding Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Re: Welding Question

Postby Lee_Petrie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:47 am

Hi Ricky, I really appreciate your wealth of experience , with my hobby welding ( which nearly came to an end ,with a new pacemaker) ! Every bump forward with new ways and techniques, are always another "feather in my knowledge hat" , with different ways to resolve the issues on repairing the old iron ! Thanks again Ricky, for you time, devoted to this post,
Lee Petrie , Joliet, IL.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

lucky1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46737
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby lucky1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:42 am

Success = not giving up??? Are the final drives on Cubs Cast "iron"? or cast steel? I have welded since I was a kid (now 46) and for a few years as a job. I apparently don't know diddley about welding cast iron because 2 out of 3 times I failed. First attempt was a Ford engine block with a cracked freeze plug hole - kept chasing the crack and ended up at the oil pan before i sold it for parts. :-( Used stick welder with 95 nickle rod, preheated and peened as it cooled, even drilled a tiny hole at the end of the cracks. Second attempt was a Farmall Cub front casting, same technique and same results...It cracked again in little places. Bought a new casting. Third attempt was a final drive flange on a Farmall Cub where it bolts to the axle housing...Ground everything to a bevel leaving just enough of the break to aid in aligning all the broken pieces (lots of pieces) then clamped it to something flat. I remember keeping it clamped and welding it on one side then unclamping and welding the flat side a little at a time to prevent warping. Used my wire welder with standard wire and 75/25 gas. Ground then flat filed welds flush after the repair. SUCCESS :worthy: :{_}: After painting, you would never know it was welded and have used the tractor for years...no cracks no problems. Go figure??? Thats my experience for what it is worth. Any thoughts on my experience?

smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

Postby smallfarm » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:08 pm

Dig a hole in the yard--build a fire in it -- heat the casting in the HOT ashes -- weld it --throw it back in the ashes and cover it with ashes then cover it with dirt for a few days to let it cool slow and even.

Stainless rod is the way to go by my limited experience.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:32 pm

I feel lucky I just take it next door and say Al this needs fixin. He does it or says let me have Johnny do it. Al is retired and Johnney is his son and still working. I am blessed
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Sounds like I need to let one of you guys repair my cracked final for a spare!
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

lucky1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46737

Postby lucky1 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:04 pm

I stumbled across this old post on welding. I do a lot of welding and you can chalk this up to blind luck if you want but I had a final drive bust into a lot of pieces right around the axle tube flange right side (not that it matters). I have a 250 amp mig welder set up with 70 series wire and 75/25 gas. I wasn't sure what type of cast it was so I figured I'd just try it since it was already trash. I V'd everything out and clamped it or bolted it all back to the tractor. Then tacked it all together good and pulled it back off as an assembly. Seems like I clamped it to a piece of flat stock where I wherever I was welding at the moment and finished welding it. I had to build up and fill in a lot of holes. I don't remember getting crazy with the heat but I didn't take any special precautions normally necessary with cast iron. It turned out great. I even ground the welds flat and with a coat of paint you'd never know it was ever broken. It's been a decade ago and hasn't rebroken.

On a side note I have since done some research on stainless wire and ordered two types to try to repair a severely damaged and somewhat rare head...wish me luck and Gods grace :-)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:16 pm

I use only certainimum welding rod for cast iron. Need to follow the process, grind it out, preheat with torch plus it burns out any oils. I drill holes on both ends of the crack so it can't continue. Then get the sand box ready or old welding leathers to cover the welds so it cools slowly. You can also draw it down with the torch letting it cool slowly.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Hillbilly
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37055
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub
'59 TD9

Postby Hillbilly » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:24 am

I've had good luck heliarc'ing and brazing cast iron. If the piece will fit on my old gas grill, I use it for the preheating and blankets & sand for the post heating.

Return to “Farmall Cub”