This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How to Prime Oil Pump - 1950

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brian50
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06074
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
Sickle Bar
Moldboard Plow

How to Prime Oil Pump - 1950

Postby Brian50 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:39 am

Do I need to prime my oil pump and if so, how?
My cub hasn't run for at least 2 years and I'm gradually working the bugs out. (my previous post was "Wiring Diagram - Magneto Equipped 1950" - thanks for the help, I'm getting there)
I've changed the oil and have been "bumping" the engine to check for spark, etc. I'm concerned I may not have adequate oil circulation to prevent damage. My Service Manual says to prime the oil pump through a (plugged) hole near the top of the flywheel housing. Well, it's there, but it's completely blocked by two hydraulic lines.
What can I do?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How to Prime Oil Pump - 1950

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:54 am

Remove engine oil filter cap. Inside, towards front of engine, down about a inch is an opening. Squirt about 1 cup engine oil into the opening.

Then, cranking over engine watch for oil flowing out the opening.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06070
Tractors Owned: '54 Farmall Cub "Betty"

Re: How to Prime Oil Pump - 1950

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:29 am

Brian - I have a '54 and I believe it to be accurate that all Cubs (if not all, definitely the earier years from what I'm reading) have a set screw with a recessed allen-head between the hydraulic lines on the left side of the block just 1 or 2 o'clock to the carb as if the carb was "center to the clock." Remove the set screw and use either a really small funnel or oil-pump can to fill that reservoir up to the hole with 30 weight. It does the same thing as going through the filter and if you ask me, was easier since the hood is not obstructing the view. A couple of the guys here taught me that trick! :D
She thinks my tractor's sexy...

Return to “Farmall Cub”