This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

48 cub will not fire

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob Prentice
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: k7r3k8

Re: 48 cub will not fire

Postby Bob Prentice » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:07 pm

I have exactly the same problem with my cub. But, it followed a complete restoration- ran perfectly for afew days, then stopped; would start, but would stall with any load- then finally would not start at all. Has good magneto spark (correct timing), fuel, including ether use, but WILL NOT fire. I'm an old hand at restoring old stuff and have never had as frustrating an issue as this lovely little Cub. I await the solution to Lee's problem! Bob Prentice

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rianna
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36748

Postby Rianna » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:46 am

It must be something in the air and I agree with Bob...waiting patiently for the solution to Lee's problem!!

Cubbie has the same problem. Running fine one day, the next she was a little sluggish. When the weekend rolled around she tried to start up but quit after a few seconds. We checked the fuel flow and it was good. Gave the battery a charge. That didn't help. Checked spark plug for spark. Nothing. Bypassed the kill switch (this solved a previous problem) but had no spark after doing so.

My husband later checked the coil for spark(?) (I think that's what he said) and it was doing what it was supposed to do.

We've been scratching our heads over this one. Next on the list to do is change out the points...unless someone has any other ideas?

The grass needs cutting something fierce...it's knee high to a billy goat and I'm itching for some seat time.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:12 am

As all of you know I dis like mags :( , But I will through this in on the mix. I have seen where the plate with the notches that rides in the governor on the back side of the impulse gets worn to the point it through s the spark timing off
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:45 am

two suggestions that could be a long shot.
did the governor get removed and missassembled?
Is the throtle linkage all connected and tight?

I had orange spark from my mag and I checked the coil wire for continuity (nearly zero resistance on a meter); but your restoration likely has new wires.

Since you are doing a restoration you probably want to keep the mag. I opted to upgrade to a distributor and electronic ignition and Sophie runs like a top now. -and she still looks vintage (minus the mag). Sophie is a working girl though.
Dave
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

Return to “Farmall Cub”