Auction Finds

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:06 am

Attended an auction this weekend. Property and possessions being auctioned off. Friend of the family told me, "he's retiring from retirement; selling everything, buying a boat and moving to the lake."

There was an 8N listed in the sale bill with some 3-point equipment, but I was mainly wanting to see some of the building materials listed. When I arrived, as with many auctions I attend, there was way more being sold than listed. It didn't take long to spot a Cub-22 (4-1/2') mower. The unit was rusted, but workable. The sheet metal guard housing was a little bent up, as well as the stay rod. Think it's missing the drag bar. But the good news: it had the drive pulley wired on it, which often is absent. The splines were in great shape. The pitman arm was rotted/broken, but the metal end plates were intact and the grass board was missing.

Later on while walking around, I spied a Cub belt pulley. It freely spun and was in good working shape including the splines.

Knew I wanted the belt pulley for sure, so bid on it. I waited around 'til they sold the mower, just to see how much it sold for.

Here's some pictures:

Conclusion: Won the belt pulley ($10) and the sickle bar mower ($20). Think they'll both clean up well. :D

Re: Auction Finds

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:28 am

Stanton:

Those are the kind of auctions we all want to find :!: Nice buy on the Belt Pulley -- that really was a steal. The 22 wasn't too bad at $20.00 either :!: A profitable day.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Nice find. Funny, I too have been looking to find a $20 sickle bar mower. Once in a lifetime find :D

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:51 am

Good find Stanton, a 20 buck 22, the cover is worth more than that. Clean up -- no sweat, they'll look good as new. But, you're getting a lot of projects to refurbish plus making all those gas gauges!
Just kidding. Keep up the good finds, love to hear about them, gives us all more hope!

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:54 am

Nice find Stanton!!

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:06 am

randallc wrote:Good find Stanton, a 20 buck 22, the cover is worth more than that. Clean up -- no sweat, they'll look good as new. But, you're getting a lot of projects to refurbish plus making all those gas gauges!
Just kidding. Keep up the good finds, love to hear about them, gives us all more hope!

Thanks. All I could think of was seeing those Cub-22 pulleys sell on ebay for upwards of $85 and I thought: "Even if this turns out to be a pile of scrap, the pulley is worth more than I paid for it!" :)

Yes, lately I'm getting more on my plate than I need. But it is fun!

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:20 am

Grass board is easy to make. Ask my Dad...

I was looking for a piece of pipe or a bar or something in the front corner of the shed a couple weeks ago, when I saw something familiar... It was the grass board that I'd made for my #1 Cub-22 mower, BUSTED!

He'd done a masterful job of covering his tracks, even using the replacement board just enough to weather it so I wouldn't notice!

We had a good chuckle. It was just a cheap pine board, and probably good that it broke rather than the mower.