[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4493: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression'
Farmall Cub • View topic - Transmission oil leak

Transmission oil leak

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:05 am

First Post - WOO HOO !! :{_}:

I just bought a '57 Cub with a belly mower because I had some mowing to do. It seems to be handling the mowing fairly well but I have identified some issues with the tractor. The one that I am having trouble with seems to be a transmission oil leak. A mocha colored oil is coming out from around a plate held on by a wing nut near the front of the transmission. This part is labeled "A" on page 25 of the Owner's Manual, but I have not found any other reference to it yet. The wing nut is finger tight so far. I have added more oil to ensure that some was in there. What's under the plate? Do I need to order a gasket of some kind? Thanks ahead of time. This site is awesome! :worthy:

Re: Transmission oil leak

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:08 am

Mocha color, is water in the tranny fluid. Probably overfilled, and leaking past the front seal. Drain, and refill, only to the fill plug, on the side of the case. Ed

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:20 am

Agree with ScottyD'Dad. After draining and refilling the transmission, remove the hand hole cover and loosen the plate on the bottom front side of the torque tube and drain out any oil.

No gasket on the hand hole cover, the round plate with the wing nut. No oil is suppose to be in that location.

Grease the throwout bearing when you have the hand hole cover off.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:53 am

In addition to what has been stated, there will be some oil in the torque tube that does not drain out unless you park it with the nose low for a while.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Use the cheapest grease you can find for the throw out bearing. You want it to liquefy and soak into he graphite block.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:57 pm

You will need to replace the front seal in the transmission at some time, But do change the fluid in the transmission asap
Boss

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:44 pm

382cr62 wrote:This part is labeled "A" on page 25 of the Owner's Manual, but I have not found any other reference to it yet. The wing nut is finger tight so far.

That would be the Clutch Hand Hole Inspection Cover. The wing nut only needs to be hand tight as it only protects for critters and dust. As others have mentioned, you need to change the oil ... of course when you take possession of a new to you Cub .. Congratulations btw ... :applause: ... one needs to do a complete tune up/fluid change/lubrication. You identified page 25 .. the lubrication section starts on page 24.

as well as the rest of the Lubrication section to page 27 in this case in the McCormick Farmall Cub Operator's Manual 12-20-55

382cr62 wrote:I have added more oil to ensure that some was in there. What's under the plate? Do I need to order a gasket of some kind?

One must drain all the old fluids before replacing or adding.

There is a lot of resources available to our members and it is strongly suggested that new members follow the links below to acquaint themselves with what is available. Happy reading :)

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the PDF Manuals -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:24 am

UPDATE:
I got sidetracked replacing the battery cables, so have yet to change out the tranny oil. But the good news is the Cub fires right up now and I don't need to park it on a hill to roll start it anymore. The engine oil is also due for a change so I am going to order a filter and do both jobs at the same time. Hopefully, next week.
Thanks again.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:15 am

Good oil filters are available at NAPA. Part number 1153.

When you drain the xmsn, flush with kerosene or diesel and refill with 3.5 PINTS of gear oil.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:40 am

UPDATE:
Changed engine oil, replaced filter, flushed filter housing with kerosene.
Greased throw out bearing - noticed remnants of paper gasket on hand hole cover.
Changed tranny oil, flushed tranny with kerosene. -Noticed kerosene coming out of hand hole while driving downhill.

Thanks for all the help so far.
:thanx:

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:29 pm

No supposed to be a gasket on hand hole cover. there is not supposed to be any oil in there, and if it does get in that is a place to let it out and keep away from the clutch.