Okra 0, Mott a whole bunch

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:34 pm

We have been raising dwarf okra lately, since Joann prefers it, but I could not find any this year, so we planted the regular. At this point the deep freezes are full, and no one wants it badly enough to pick it, so I shoved the Howard Despeeder into gear waded into it with the Mott today. Much of it was over the top of the muffler outlet. I heard a little belt squealing at times from the Mott but it went through it.

First row done

Second row done

Re: Okra 0, Mott a whole bunch

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:42 pm

Thats enough okra to feed an army, we never plant over a few stalks

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:12 pm

Looks like the mower handled it quite well.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi John,
Nice looking garden. Idid not know the mott flail mower could do that; those plants look pretty tall too.

Those leaves kinda remind me of fig leaves. We have 18 fig trees and we had only two figs -odd year for us. In the past we use to give figs away since we had so many.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:15 pm

right after I built my shed I a few years ago I was working in it, and heard a helicopter go over, pretty soon I heard it come back and it hovered a ways from the end of my garden, and when I looked there was someone looking through binoculars at the garden. I wondered what was going on when I realized it was a State Patrol helicopter and they were flying marijuana patrol. Okra is very close to the same color, and the leaves have a similar shape, but are wider and the fingers of the leaves are broader. I had just started to go in and get a piece of cardboard and spray paint OKRA on it when they left.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:25 pm

I wish I was closer, I would have cut okra off your patch until the frost came. There are few things out of the garden I enjoy more than breaded and fried okra....

Al

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:31 am

John it is a shame the okra had to be mowed down. What is that bracket on the R. front wheel used for? I never saw one of those, just wondering. Papa.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:11 pm

The bracket is for a 151 disk plow. It connects to a rod that connects to the iron wheel on the plow and the rod makes the plow track or turn to follow the tractor.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:29 pm

It hadn't been painted yet in this picture, but maybe it will give you a better idea. The same bracket is also used for the 12D harrow plow, which is a 2 disk version of my 151.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Mr. John,

I am with you on the okra. I planted 6-200 foot rows of clemson okra. I have broke somewhere between 2500 - 3500 pounds off of it since June 1st.

I am so sick off it.

It is still making. I hate to waste it. I sold it, gave it away and have thrown it away, and every 48 to 60 hours it will have 4-10 more 5 gallon buckets on it.

There was a snake in the okra patch last Sunday. Thankfully it was only a spreading adder, I was almost standing on him before I heard him hissing. I didn't tear up but about 12 -15 plants before I got away from it. Dang it!!! :lol: :lol:

I am going to cutt mine up too...really soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Ours is also Clemson, but it got taller than my corn .

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Tezell wrote:Thankfully it was only a spreading adder, I was almost standing on him before I heard him hissing. I didn't tear up but about 12 -15 plants before I got away from it.

He was probably playing dead by time you started to run. :lol: I don't blame you though, I tend to back off quickly when I see snakes myself.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Okra is not something that I am familiar with in fac t have never had it. What does it taste like? I have heard it is an acquired taste. What does one do with it and why .... :? :?:

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Rudi, my recommendation is fried or pickled. Stay away from boiled okra. I don't know how to describe the taste. Maybe we can get some for you at Cecil's.

Bob

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Bob:

I have been wanting to try it and so has Em .. but we just ain't sure. Long as it isn't like Country's Southern Fried Possom 'n Grits in a can .. it be fine by me :big smile:

Reservations are made and confirmed :||): :{_}: :-:-): NY here we come ..

well in a few weeks that is ... :roll: