This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Okra 0, Mott a whole bunch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Okra 0, Mott a whole bunch

Postby tmays » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:27 pm

I like me some fried okra, but I've been grilling it for a couple years now. Take some whole young okra, coat with olive oil, season then put it directly on the grill. Very good!!!
Thomas

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Mr E » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Us ole Southern boys were raised poor. We ate it boiled, fried, and love it cooked it peas or beans. We did try to use the small pods to boil. Cut the longer ones up from frying.

In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Darned if we could get the kids to eat green beans, peas, or beets out of the garden. But the fried Okra they would take first before the corn and fried chicken. I personally like stewed okra also, mixed with stewed tomatoes but my wife doesn't. So I have to put that on the table as a second vegetable to make her happy. Unfortunately we just moved back to the family farm and haven't restored the garden yet. Although we had some asparagus out of it this year. But the bushes and trees need to be cleared. :roll:
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:13 pm

I like it boiled if not tough. Plenty of salt in the water and it tastes pretty good. Fried is the best though....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Us ole Northern gold camp boys were raised poor too .. ate what we grew or what we managed to put on the table from trapping rabbit in winter, fishing Pike, Pickerel (walleye), Sucker along with other species like Lake Trout and Muskellunge. We hunted moose and bear in summer/fall along with Partridge/Spruce Hen/Ruffed Grouse and other varmints. Hard to grow veggies on ROCK ... :shock: but we managed and are a lot better for it methinks. One of the things I learned to like a lot was Kohlrabi. Member of the cabbage family but different. Thems good fried in a half dozen different ways as well as the old Bavarian style home cooking. That and a lot of taters, beans, oatmeal and cornmeal is what got us through the long cold winters .. :lol: Started learnin' to try just about anything at least once. Funny thing is, those simple dishes are still my favourite almost 60 years later. Amazing ... I am looking forward to trying Okra. Is it battered with a corn meal base ? Hope to get to the south soon .. can no longer fly .. so driving is how I am going to travel. I hear there is good food in the south :{_}:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Rudi wrote: I am looking forward to trying Okra. Is it battered with a corn meal base ? Hope to get to the south soon .. can no longer fly .. so driving is how I am going to travel. I hear there is good food in the south :{_}:

Most do it that way and they are yummy....My mom's version is a little different. She corn meals them up, (They are slimy enough corn meal sticks pretty good) and then cooks them in a pan with enough oil to cover the bottom so they don't stick. When you see them finished they look "burnt" because the meal turns pretty dark but they're not--they are delicious and I can make a meal off of them.....

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:27 am

John,

Do you haul the stalks out of your garden, or plow them under? I was always told to get the okra stalks, potato vines, tomato vines, etc. out of the garded and don't plow them under. Might cause a blight or disease. And how many hoes did you wear out keeping your garden that clean.

Billy

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Mom chopped okra into 1/4 - 1/2" chunks and included in stews and soups. I like okra but can not get rest of family to eat it.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Eugene wrote:Mom chopped okra into 1/4 - 1/2" chunks and included in stews and soups. I like okra but can not get rest of family to eat it.

Okra in homemade vegetable beef soup: deliciousness.

Billy we usually bush hog the stalks and disk. If the okra bears 'till frost sometimes we just leave the stalks and disk them up in the spring. I could see the residue carrying disease or maybe insects but I don't think it makes that much difference.

Al

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 am

That is really funny because that happened to my grandfather back in the early to mid-90s when he had a huge garden down at our property (which is now an operating limestone quarry). That land would grow some FINE vegetables. I think we had around 7 or 8 rows about 100 ft. long each and they were just a lookin'.

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:right after I built my shed I a few years ago I was working in it, and heard a helicopter go over, pretty soon I heard it come back and it hovered a ways from the end of my garden, and when I looked there was someone looking through binoculars at the garden. I wondered what was going on when I realized it was a State Patrol helicopter and they were flying marijuana patrol. Okra is very close to the same color, and the leaves have a similar shape, but are wider and the fingers of the leaves are broader. I had just started to go in and get a piece of cardboard and spray paint OKRA on it when they left.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks Super A. I have just always hauled them out of the garden because that is what I was always told. I just figured the "old folks" knew what they were talking about, and I didn't argue. Now I am an "old folk". I was also told never feed butter bean hulls to the cows cause the sharp point on the hulls would stick in their stomach and/or guts.

Billy

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Billy Fussell wrote: Now I am an "old folk". I was also told never feed butter bean hulls to the cows cause the sharp point on the hulls would stick in their stomach and/or guts.

Billy
Wife just picked some butter beans.....I read her your post and she poked me in the hand with one..... :shock: Sometimes this is a dangerous forum :lol: Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Alright already... so out with it. What are Butter Beans :?: :?: And yeah, I could look it up on wikipedia but won't get the kind of answers I get here... :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Rudi wrote:Alright already... so out with it. What are Butter Beans :?: :?: And yeah, I could look it up on wikipedia but won't get the kind of answers I get here... :big smile:

in a nutshell, any number of varieties of lima beans. I like the little green ones, like the ones in Mr E's picture, and in the garden we plant a medium sized bean that is white with black speckles when it is dried. They are good too. In my area, I guess "butterbeans" are eaten fresh and limas are dried and then cooked later, like navy beans.

I love butter beans and green beans cooked together, (a good way to use green beans when the vines start fizzling out later in the summer) and also fresh sliced tomatoes with butterbeans poured over the top of them. Of course they--butter beans, green beans, lima beans etc. are cooked with a piece of country ham, fatback, etc. for flavor.

Al

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Ok, I gots that.

However... there is one thing that I DO NOT EAT in this life and that would be Lima Beans. I will eat almost any other bean but not LIMA BEANS .. never, not ever .. let me rephrase that ... not a chance in hedoulblehockeysticks.

Now they happen to be one of Em's favourites .. but no thanks not for me. I might try okra but a butter bean will never pass these lips ..

Return to “Farmall Cub”