Okra 0, Mott a whole bunch

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Re: Okra 0, Mott a whole bunch

Postby Denny Clayton » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:26 am

Rudi wrote:Ok, I gots that.

However... there is one thing that I DO NOT EAT in this life and that would be Lima Beans. I will eat almost any other bean but not LIMA BEANS .. never, not ever .. let me rephrase that ... not a chance in hedoulblehockeysticks.

Now they happen to be one of Em's favourites .. but no thanks not for me. I might try okra but a butter bean will never pass these lips ..

That's OK, Rudi. More for the rest of us! :D
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty"
'56 FH Cub
(2) '48 Cubs
'75 IH 140 w/1000 loader
C-3 mower, FH Woods 42F, 22 sickle (2), 54A blade, L-54 blade, 194 plow, FH L-38 disk, FH LB disk, 144 cultivators, FH platform carrier
Denny Clayton
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:09 am

Rudi wrote:..... there is one thing that I DO NOT EAT in this life and that would be Lima Beans.....
I like butter beans, but have a bad reaction to them, stomach cramps, etc. so I leave them alone also.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby Papa's Cub » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:41 am

Rudi, there is nothing better than a pot of fresh peas flavored with country ham and several pods of fresh cut okra. My wife's version of fried okra starts off with bacon pieces fried crispy in a cast iron skillet. This is for additional flavor and provides a little grease (fat) to prevent scorching. Next she adds about 4 or 5 cups of tender young okra sliced horizontally into small pieces. (not breaded ) Cook on medium heat for a few minutes, cover with a lid and let it simmer until tender. Salt and pepper to taste. Try it.....you'll like it.
Papa's Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star

Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub w/mower 1974 Ford 3000 1976 Int'l Cub Woods 59-C-2 Turn Plow w/Depth Full set of cultivators
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 am

I realize that names for different things are regional. Around here we call lima beans white or green butterbeans, with white or green being used inerchangabley. The other kind are called speckled butterbeans. They cook up with dark pot likker, unlike lima beans that make a light pot likker. They are both good, I like the speckled kid better, though.
Billy Fussell
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 75959

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:24 pm

When Em and I start heading south -- my brother-in-law is planning on being a snowbird (has a condo in Fla), I will give y'all a heads up. Going to try and meet as many members along the way as we can and try as many of the local delicacies as we can.

I am looking forward to trying okra and some of that Cajun cuisine :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: E1A7J3
eBay ID: ve9rhs
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1951 Cub "Jethro"
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Circle of Safety Award
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby danovercash » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Got to have okra cut up I veggie soup! Btw okra and squash are just carriers for the fried cornmeal, lol. Just stay away from store bought batter breaded okra/squash. I like both fried, boiled, no way! When you make veg. Soup ( tomato,okra, corn, cabbage, onion use tomato juice and or broth instead of water. Then season with some Curley's pulled pork BBQ . Doesn't get any better unless you add green beans and or limas. Making myself hungry just typing this!
"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone but not forgotten!)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dansfarmallcub/
danovercash
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety Award

Previous

Return to Farmall Cub