Re: Okra 0, Mott a whole bunch

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:26 am

Rudi wrote:Ok, I gots that.

However... there is one thing that I DO NOT EAT in this life and that would be Lima Beans. I will eat almost any other bean but not LIMA BEANS .. never, not ever .. let me rephrase that ... not a chance in hedoulblehockeysticks.

Now they happen to be one of Em's favourites .. but no thanks not for me. I might try okra but a butter bean will never pass these lips ..

That's OK, Rudi. More for the rest of us! :D

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:09 am

Rudi wrote:..... there is one thing that I DO NOT EAT in this life and that would be Lima Beans.....
I like butter beans, but have a bad reaction to them, stomach cramps, etc. so I leave them alone also.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:41 am

Rudi, there is nothing better than a pot of fresh peas flavored with country ham and several pods of fresh cut okra. My wife's version of fried okra starts off with bacon pieces fried crispy in a cast iron skillet. This is for additional flavor and provides a little grease (fat) to prevent scorching. Next she adds about 4 or 5 cups of tender young okra sliced horizontally into small pieces. (not breaded ) Cook on medium heat for a few minutes, cover with a lid and let it simmer until tender. Salt and pepper to taste. Try it.....you'll like it.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 am

I realize that names for different things are regional. Around here we call lima beans white or green butterbeans, with white or green being used inerchangabley. The other kind are called speckled butterbeans. They cook up with dark pot likker, unlike lima beans that make a light pot likker. They are both good, I like the speckled kid better, though.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:24 pm

When Em and I start heading south -- my brother-in-law is planning on being a snowbird (has a condo in Fla), I will give y'all a heads up. Going to try and meet as many members along the way as we can and try as many of the local delicacies as we can.

I am looking forward to trying okra and some of that Cajun cuisine :big smile:

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Got to have okra cut up I veggie soup! Btw okra and squash are just carriers for the fried cornmeal, lol. Just stay away from store bought batter breaded okra/squash. I like both fried, boiled, no way! When you make veg. Soup ( tomato,okra, corn, cabbage, onion use tomato juice and or broth instead of water. Then season with some Curley's pulled pork BBQ . Doesn't get any better unless you add green beans and or limas. Making myself hungry just typing this!