Story of Two Distributors

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Rex '48 and Princess '55 have identical distributors. I recently (with your help), removed the distributor on Princess '55 to change the points and condenser. With that fresh in my mind - I was doing the final assembly on the distributor for Rex '48 today.

I noticed there is a bakelite plate that installs before the rotor - essentially sealing off the points and condenser from the distributor cap. This IS NOT in the distributor on Princess '55. Should this part be in the Princess '55 distributor?

Ken

Re: Story of Two Distributors

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Ken:

The answer would be yes. Item #5 Cover Breaker w/seal - TC-37D Revision 1 (Revised 12-54) - Electrical

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:35 pm

not a must but better with it in

Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Agree with Boss Hog. I would reassemble the distributor and run tractor. Then order the necessary replacement parts.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Eugene wrote:Agree with Boss Hog. I would reassemble the distributor and run tractor. Then order the necessary replacement parts.

Talked to Dad this evening. He doesn't recall that ever being in there - we've had the Cub over 10 years. It's always run well - it needs an engine job now though - power is on the decline. Rex '48 out of the shop - Princess '55 in - for a less aggressive overhaul than Rex '48 is receiving.

I've got a line on a used one - CaseIH wants $25.75 for new ones.

Ken

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:16 am

Ken,
TM Tractor most likely has them however they are closed till Sept. 9th.

Steiner has them for $12 - Image
P/N IHS763

Peter