No spark its got to be something simple

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:08 am

I am working on my brothers 1948 cub 6 volt. It shut off on him while he was mowing the other day and now has no spark. So I did the usual I have power to the coil when the switch is on so I figured it might be a bad coil. Swapped it and still nothing. Checked points and gapped them to .20 still nothing. So I installed new points and condenser and checked timing still no spark. Any ideas? He is getting married soon and needs to get his yard looking good ASAP

Re: No spark its got to be something simple

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:20 am

If the tractor has a magneto, the breaker point gap should be 0.013".

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:29 am

make sure points aren't grounding out

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:37 am

Olred wrote: and now has no spark. So I did the usual I have power to the coil when the switch is on so I figured it might be a bad coil. Swapped it and still nothing.

Are you sure the swaped coil is a good one??????????????????????

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:59 am

Bought a new coil so it should be good I'm guessing the points could be grounding out on the distributor wall

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:28 am

Bad switch? Had one that only let less than 1 volt through. Bypass the switch, and see if you get spark. (a Cecil trick) Ed

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:39 am

check switch and wires between. doh, SDD beat me to it.
Also, if you are in a pinch, Autozone has a switch for $4.xx but make sure the current rating is ok for your setup. Mine is 12 volts -so less current. That switch even accepted the screw on pull button original; I only had to add a washer for the diameter difference.
Dave

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Do not buy or replace parts until the problem has been diagnosed.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72396&p=583255&hilit=ignition+system+diagnosis#p583255

Above a pictorial schematic on how to check out the 6 volt ignition system.

Also use the search function, top of page. How to diagnose ignition system faults have been previously discussed.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:19 pm

I have seen the post in the Dist. ground out that the points connect to and the coil connects to from the outside , check the rotor and the cap first!! contact is nost likely worn down in the center button of the cap :wink:
Boss