well it runs....but stalls

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

well finnaly got the cub running again, purrs like a kitten. so I took it out to the yard to cut some grass and it went five feet and stalled out. started it again same thing happened. so I started the tractor left it out of gear and turned out the mower and it runs it just fine. I am kinda stumped. the ol girl is getting pretty tired but I did not think she would tucker out this quick. it cut fine last week.....anyone have any ideas? I checked timing and all is good there :lost:

Re: well it runs....but stalls

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Cut fine last week. Check the mower spindles and idler pulleys.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:04 pm

Pull out the main jet and clean it throughly. While you've got it out open the fuel valve and check fuel flow. Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:59 am

Lets back up a bit, What was the problem with the not firing?

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:24 am

well boss,

it was a combination, of a bad distributor cap and the on/off switch :lol: it will run great if your not moving :)

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:12 am

Make sure nothing is binding on the governor rod and all the rest of the governor assembly is clean, lubed and moving freely. Yeah, what the other said too.... :) I would recheck everything you moved to fix the original problem. Backtracking and recheck is a good idea.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:26 am

When was the last time it had a complete tune up?

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:27 am

I think the plan of attack is going to be triple checking everything. The tractor is pretty well tuned up now with new points, condenser, rotor, cap, plugs, and new ignition switch. The wires were the only thing not replaced. I have a sinking feeling that the carb is done considering the threads for the main jet are stripped so its being held in by some epoxy that is similar to jb weld. I might swap carbs and see if that does the trick after checking everything above. Anyone ever helicoil main jet threads?

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:46 am

Olred wrote:Anyone ever helicoil main jet threads?

Cecil

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Image to what Bob said. Contact Cecil and then send it to him. He does magic with carbs.