This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Crack in hydraulic reservoir...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06070
Tractors Owned: '54 Farmall Cub "Betty"

Crack in hydraulic reservoir...

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:02 pm

I know, I know...it's 'him" again...sorry. :oops:

I was going over my '54 after giving it a good wash. When I went to put the tractor back in the garage I moved the blade up and saw a little fluid coming out of the reservoir on the bottom right side. At first I thought I had to tighten a bolt (that would be too easy...) but on closer inspection I see the reservoir is cracked! :roll: I'm obviously putting a lot of energy to getting Betty fully operational and this was a kick in the :censored: ! I read a few threads on welding and cast repairs and I'm not sure what the best route is. I don't know if I can drill into the broken piece and then into the sidewall, tap the hole, and bolt it back together with a recessed head. I'm not sure how thick the sidewalls are or if the bolt would hold with the amount of pressure on the reservoir in general. I also see that the crack pulls apart when the blade is liften and lowered. :help:

And...thank you, in advance. Sorry to take advantage of you all but, well, I ask and I get answers. :-:-):
Attachments
hydraulic reservoir.JPG
hydraulic reservoir.JPG (320.52 KiB) Viewed 238 times
She thinks my tractor's sexy...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Crack in hydraulic reservoir...

Postby Cecil » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Take the unit off the tractor and bring it to Cubfest NE in October. I have a case here that we can move your valves to. I just did it on another unit today. I now know a whole lot more about these than I ever wanted to. :lol:

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Now that is one super offer I can't refuse! Thank you. :worthy: But please only direct me...I am not one of those guys that will take advantage of the pros. Just point and I will bust out the tools. :{_}:

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:33 pm

BTW - I'm probably brining Betty on a trailer. It doesn't seem too difficult to take off. Alright if we take it off when I arrive?

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Cecil wrote:Take the unit off the tractor and bring it to Cubfest NE in October. I have a case here that we can move your valves to. I just did it on another unit today. I now know a whole lot more about these than I ever wanted to. :lol:

Man, you can't beat an offer like that. However, if you can't make it to the Cubfest my advise would still be chuck the broken housing and replace it with a different one.

Oh, don't feel like you're being a bother. We all enjoy being involved in members Cubs and helping each other out. Every time someone posts a question, we all learn something.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:07 pm

Bring Betty along. It only takes 5 minutes or so to take it off.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Connecticut Calvin wrote:Now that is one super offer I can't refuse! Thank you. :worthy: But please only direct me...I am not one of those guys that will take advantage of the pros. Just point and I will bust out the tools. :{_}:

Calvin:

Most of us dig right in when we get to Cecil's. Everyone shares their own knowledge with others and we all end up going away with a little bit more than when we showed up. Well most of us anyways ... :big say what: :big give up:

I think I am going to bring Jethro's mill, a carb and maybe a few other things down to play with ....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:08 pm

Party!!!

Soooo is this an overnight shindig or just a day? I have no idea what I'm getting into! :lol:

I'm renting a trailer to pull Betty. I just need to locate a truck to pull it. Otherwise Betty and I are taking a 50 mile ride through the country! 8)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Calvin:

The minifests are a day affair. CubFest Northeast is a weekend do. Em and I are staying at the Blue Spruce .. just down the road from Cecil's and it is the main inn we all pretty much stay at for those of us not pulling our own sleeping arrangements :wink: :D Big point is to get our hands good and dirty. :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”