09/07/13

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:19 am

Ok so here it goes,I received my grandfathers Cub in 2003,he passed away in 1997.He originally parked the Cub due to extreme loss of power issues with it back in 1987 or 88,so the Cub sat in the shed for around 15 years or so.I brought it home Thanksgiving week 2003,where it sat in my garage for 2 more years before starting any work on it.I checked compression on it and #2+3 had almost no compression.I pull the head and find the when my uncles put on a new headgasket they dropped a piece of dirt between the top of the block and the gasket.So I thought for a few days and decided to split the tractor and rebuild her,took it apart and sent the block and head to my local machine shop,had it dipped and checked for cracks,also had head checked for any warpage due to the dirt that was found.I ordered all the parts I would need and started putting her back together,then work got slow so all money went to keeping bills paid.The Cub sat 2 more years,apart this time,just started to work on her again,wife found a new house she liked,so we sold ours and moved,now the Cub goes to stoeage for a year becase the new house has no garage and I have to build one,fall 2008 Iget it home to new garage,but have no time or money,lost my job and had to start my own company to keep bills paid.so flash forward to June of 2013,not quite 10 years after getting the Cub,I now start to reassemble her,September 7 2003 we try to fire her up,no spark with new battery,run to tractor supply and get point,condenser cap and rotor,drop screw for condecser spend an hour to find it,now we have great spark,everything is ready,oil pump primed,carb rebuilt with new gas in it,motor all new,we fire it up and it starts.The best part about it is my mother is here watching(it was her dad's tractor)and my father was the first to drive it,my 8 year old son was here and he as been a ton of help on it.She has great oil pressure,charging system is working,has all 4 gears and is running after a brief 25 year wait.I have a long way to go yet,but wanted to thank ALL of you on this forum,I have learned alot of tips and tricks from this website and I could not have done it without all of the information you all give so willingly.I cannot be happier than I am right now,it has been a long journey to get her to this point,but well worth the wait.Now I have a ton more to do but hopefully the hard part is behind us.
I will try and get the video of her first run added later.

Re: 09/07/13

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:18 am

Best of luck! I like the part of the story where your Mom and son were there when it started.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:49 am

well worth waiting for!

Todd

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:13 am

Great story - So glad the Cub is running again. Since you're newly joined to the forum - I'll let you know - We LOVE PICTURES.....:D

Congrats on a running Cub

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:41 am

Congratulations!

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:58 am

Just realized that I double posted this,sorry about that got up at 4am,guess I was still sleeping.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:50 am

See now isn't it all worth it?! I'm sure when you heard that baby fire you and your family were exchanging lots of :||): around! You can't help but have a really divine affinity for these little machines! Get these little guys running and man they just want to go...go...go...

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:36 am

..It's a great feeling when they come to life. Worth the wait

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Congratulations and Kudos on your perseverance. Family cubs are the best kind.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Yes it was great to hear it for the first time after so many years of being quiet.The funny part is my 8 year old asked me if it was ready to be painted now,I had to break it to him that we have a long way to go before its ready for paint.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Cub stories of any kind are always welcome and family cub stories have greater meaning for us whose first cub was family owned. This forum has helped a lot of us rebuild or repair our "Little Treasures". I've never attended a Cubfest but I'm planning to and You and Your Son would probably enjoy and benefit from attending one too. Good luck and continue working on your cub.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:19 pm

Last edited by Bob Perry on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Awesome! What a great story. I can appreciate the time and effort it took on your journey, seems there is never enough time or $$.

Especially great to have a family tractor.... sounds like it may be a good idea to let your son paint it in few years, since it's going to be HIS anyway. I am less impressed with a paint job as time goes on, painted two and parts of a third and it doesn't make em run any better.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:59 pm

" Endeavor to persevere" concratulations on achieving your goal. what an experience for your son also !